What markdown editor do you use?

Mostly curious about each person’s set up when writing content.

On my side, I use a mix between Sublime Text, MacDown and recently Typora.

I am back to Sublime Text. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles of other editors but it’s rock solid, very fast and it’s packages are quite stable.

Also I am about to start using Textastic and Working Copy on iOS.

1 Like

Emacs all the way, for Org, Markdown content, HTML, Go templates, CSS, “you name it”.

vscode for everything (with various plugins)!

5 Likes

bbedit or (neo)vim

For writing texts I use LibreOffice+Pandoc, and for editing, including mass editing, I use RJ TextEd and Atom.

@alexandros These both look like cool apps. Would love an update once you start diving into them. I saw something about a live preview on Textastic…this doesn’t actually allow you to render your Hugo pages from your phone, does it? (I mean in terms of previewing the page outside of something like Netlify…)

Textastic preview is for HTML files, so no it does not allow rendering Hugo pages from a device. There is no way to run Hugo on iOS as far as I know.

This setup is for people who want to upload content to a Hugo site while on the go.

1 Like

I use Ghostwriter. I like it because it is free, open-source, and cross-platform. I use it on Windows and Linux. (Since I use it to write articles about FOSS, I install it on every machine.)

It comes with Sundown as the built-in document processor, but also supports Pandoc, MultiMarkdown, Discount, and commonmark. Ghostwriter supports live preview and is pretty distraction free.

1 Like

Try VS Code and you’ll probably never go back to Sublime Text. Made the move a few months ago after working with Sublime for years.

2 Likes

VS Code surprisingly cool and feature-rich editor.

vscode-2

1 Like

Just wanted to use this platform/thread to advertise the awesomeness of Org mode (+ Emacs).

(Probably best viewed when clicked and zoomed.)

Salient features:

• You don’t need to repeat things not needed repeating… like resources metadata and the table that’s repeated across pages that you see in the screenshot.
  • Front-matter stays TOML/YAML agnostic; a lot of front-matter is extracted natural-Org style: title, tags, etc.

Here’s another Org file example that shows 10 collapsed posts from my https://scripter.co blog:

What you see there:

• Right aligned Org tags: :@unix: becomes "unix" category (tags with @ prefix). :javascript: becomes "javascript" tag, and so on…
  • Posts that have “DONE” prefix in title have draft set to false.
  • Posts that have “TODO” prefix in title have draft set to true.
  • The Org headings (with deeper indented * are sections/subsections in those posts). You can compare the text in the “* DONE Git diff Minified…” post in this screenshot with the HTML version to understand what I mean.

… finally the meme images you see on all those links are of course created in Emacs :sunglasses:

Phew, took a while to contruct this post… but this is just the tip of the iceberg of what all Org can do :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Brackets is great for markdown or HTML, offers a preview, and has many extensions for customization and added functionality.

I use Vim as my text editor for everything including Hugo.

1 Like

I use visual studio code and the markdown all in one plugin. Here are the settings I use

"markdown.extension.italic.indicator": "_",
"markdown.extension.orderedList.marker": "one",

This way I can write italic like _word_, and write my ordered lists with 1.'s

1. first
1. second
1. third

vim over here. Though sometimes gedit gets some time in, if I am feeling… gui.

I’ve looked into VS Code Studio a bit more, since everyone is raving about it, but the telemetry is what stops me from using it.

I know that Microsoft says it can be disabled but according to this Github issue it doesn’t seem like telemetry is turned off even if a user disables it in settings and the only option is to block VS Code connections with a firewall.

That doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

BBEdit … for everything

2 Likes

As this is specifically for markdown editors, i’ll skip talking about anything else.

If i’m writing pure markdown, I use a mixture of https://caret.io/ and https://github.com/wereturtle/ghostwriter, depending on what i’m doing. Doing quick site edits or whatever i’ll use a proper editor, but for just getting on and writing content for Hugo, these are great!

Writing other things often requires different editors, and looking back at this thread, most people have taken this as a ‘what editor do you use’, which IMO is a fairly different question

Looked at the GitHub issue you posted. Saw the Microsoft dev mention towards the end that it could be an extension that is sending telemetry, not vs code itself. I personally choose to opt-in to sending telemetry (as I do with most apps I use), so that doesn’t bother me.

But I could see how one would be opposed to it, on principle.