Poll 2021. Which code editors do you use when writing Hugo's files (markdown and templates)?

I would like to know the most popular code editors in the Hugo community. What is currently the most used to write markdown files and templates?

Which code editors do you use when writing Hugo’s files (markdown and templates)?
  • Atom
  • BBEdit
  • Brackets
  • Coda
  • CodeShare
  • CoffeCup
  • Eclipse
  • Emacs
  • Geany
  • gEdit
  • IntelliJ
  • jEdit
  • Komodo Edit
  • NetBeans
  • Notepad++
  • Sublime Text
  • TextMate
  • UltraEdit
  • Vim
  • VS Code

0 voters

Vim for refactoring Vscode for moving stuff around. They both have their pros and cons.

1 Like

I currently use VSCode and Micro. With both, however, I miss the possibility of having the code formatted automatically in a proper way.

2 Likes

Like in Android Studio and IntelliJ?

I don’t use VS Code very often, but I know the Prettier extension, which does a job of autoforming code.

A bit inaccurate poll as this shall be split between template (I am using ATOM for that) and Markdown itself (I am using iA Writer and Typora).

I know that ATOM can be used for Markdown, but is not as good as this two other solutions. And this two other solutions are not intended for what Atom is designed to do.

3 Likes

You are right. When I created the poll I did not take this into account. Once published, the system does not allow to modify it.
We will take it into account for future polls.

I also like Typora for the markdown. In the end, I opted for Sublime because it highlights the syntax of the shortcodes and the Front Matter.

Terminal version of Emacs with all the pseudo-IDE garbage turned off, so it works like a text editor from the previous century. My current .emacs file:

(setq-default initial-major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
(defun set-auto-mode (&optional foo) (interactive "p") (fundamental-mode))
(when (fboundp 'electric-indent-mode) (electric-indent-mode -1))

(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
(setq indent-line-function 'insert-tab)
(setq default-tab-width 4)
(setq-default tab-width 4)
(setq tab-width 4)

(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
(setq-default enable-local-variables nil)
(setq line-move-visual nil)
(setq transient-mark-mode nil)
(setq-default inhibit-eol-conversion t)
(setq sentence-end-double-space nil)
(setq isearch-lax-whitespace nil)
(setq search-whitespace-regexp nil)
(setq adaptive-fill-regexp nil)
(put 'narrow-to-region 'disabled nil)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
1 Like

At least in my last test, such extensions did not work reliably because they do not completely support the special features of the Hugo templates.

Bep had started to develop a corresponding plugin at the end of last year (Template formatter). But according to GitHub - bep/htmlfmt: Work in progress. HTML formatter., development has either been discontinued or is currently paused.

Paused would be the correct. I actually have (a variant of) it enabled all the time in VS Code myself and don’t know how I would “live” without it. But it has some known bugs which I have chosen to live with, but which I wouldn’t want to push on others …

I think there is a Prettier extension that supports Go templates, but sadly it does not support the else keywords, making it less than … ideal.

1 Like

Clicked Sublime Text, but I mostly use that for content, markdown and html. I mostly use VScode for templates, theme work and config.

VScode has an annoying habit of reformatting Hugo frontmatter that’s in .html files (yaml front matter, html content) - and thus completely breaking it as far as Hugo is concerned.

Niche issue I know. And almost certainly due to the extensions/settings I use in VScode, but I like that it re-format’s actual code. It just can’t handle yaml + html together in one document.

I’ll also occasionally use neovim and am trialing OniVim2 occasionally - which looks like being a great combination of Sublime’s speed and VScode’s extension system…eventually.

So a one choice poll doesn’t really give a good picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Open Source lives from people having ideas and other people chiming in and creating something out of it. If that is a VSCode plugin that tries to format hugo layouts properly then we should push it forward. I am pretty sure other plugins can be used (set them to required, eg. prettier) and extended with Hugo’s special commands.

I myself am pretty ok with PhpStorm (bear with me) and a Go templates plugin. Sure special words are ignored, but the layouts are properly formatted. It’s PhpStorm for me because I worked in PHP mostly In the past years and paid for it. Webstorm or any IntelliJ-based platform should work fine too.

For the plain content work I use Sublime Text or basically any editor that has a markdown-preview plugin.

Regarding this poll:
I accidentally clicked Atom and it took my vote. I did not vote for Atom, just wanted to check if I can select multiple editors. The question of the poll is “what editorS do you use” and I would have expected that it let’s me. Meh. Usability: 0/10.

1 Like

I agree with you. I understood the problem after creating the poll (The system does not allow modifications after creating it.)
Perhaps the data obtained here can be used for a later survey with questions broken down by file type.

That is something that is easily fixed in Sublime Text, creating .sublime-syntax files and the like.
It is one of the reasons for this poll. I was planning to post a package for Sublime that implements these custom settings for Hugo. But -with the figures obtained- I see that ST is not something very used by the Hugo community.

1 Like

Oops Sorry. The next poll will be better. :wink: :+1:

I use Kate as much as Vim, but the poll doesn’t even list it, despite it being the default KDE text editor.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering.
We will add a vote for Kate. :+1:
The system only allows 20 options in a poll, unfortunately. And it cannot be modified once published.

Clicked on VS Code but I actually use the VSCodium binary distribution, with the SSH FS extension to remotely edit my files.

1 Like

@davidsneighbour, I just noticed that at the bottom of the poll there is a button “Show vote”, with this you can change the vote. :+1:

1 Like

MacDown on macOS https://macdown.uranusjr.com

I’m using VsCodium, the open-source version of VsCode

VSCode is open source. Make your vote there.