Need help picking up issues for contributing to Hugo Development

Hello and I hope you are well, and I wish you a happy holidays.
I’m a software engineer with some years of C# development, and some old school web development. But I’d like to have some experience in Go for fun and profit.
I’ve finished reading a Go book, and I want to put what I’ve learned into practice by contributing to Hugo.
That’s probably going to be slow at first, but I’ll try to put a few hours a week (or maybe a day) into contributing to Hugo development.
I’ve gone through reading most of Hugo documentation and Youtube video docs, and I’ve read the Contribute to Hugo Development docs too. Ready!
Now I need help with picking up issues to start working on. Should I just pick any issue labeled with GoodFirstIssue and start working on it, and send a PR when finished?
Or does Hugo have any special contribution culture?
I really prefer to start working on issues that you really want to be resolved, so I can expect good help until I know what issues to pick later. So If I could be assigned an issue, that’d be what works best for me. I don’t have any serious open source contribution, and this is probably going to be my first serious one. Any help is appreciated.
And thanks so much for providing the amazing Hugo.

The one described in https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md.

You also need to know that there is a second repository at GitHub - gohugoio/hugoDocs: The source for https://gohugo.io/ where the documentation lives.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. So I should just pick an issue from Issues · gohugoio/hugo · GitHub and start working on it?

I’m an occasional contributor. I’ve been busy with Life™ and haven’t had time to contribute much this year, but here are my recommendations:

Yes, essentially, but we have a lot of issues. Also @bep does most of the work and ends up having to largely support what others contribute. So, if @bep doesn’t like what you’re offering, it probably won’t be accepted into the project.

Your first clue that an issue is important is if its assigned to a milestone. That generally means we want it resolved eventually.

Second clue: anything with the Keep label means it’s been around for a while and it’s important enough that we don’t want the stale bot to close the issue (but these are not usually in a milestone).

Third clue: the GoodFirstIssue label means it should be doable for a newcomer and (more importantly) we are asking for someone else to resolve it.

Lastly, if you’re not sure what to work on, I would nudge you toward bug fixes instead of new features (at least initially) only because @bep tends to spend most of his time adding features. If you can track down and fix some bugs (which is often tedious and boring), it gives him more time to focus on new features.

Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah I’m not going to work on new features before knowing my way around.
That’s a lot of help, I appreciate it, and I think I know enough to start.
Thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.