How to test changes to docs/

@natefinch had a tip on how to run hugo server from the docs/ folder. When I try it with v0.12 on my Mac, the content is almost always displayed in the navbar on the left side, not in the content pane. This is in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

The “Showcases” content is displayed in the expected area. The off-page links (Download/Discuss/Issues & Help) all go back to the hugo site, so they don’t do this, either. Selecting any other item in the navbar causes that content to show up in the navbar.

Not the answer you want, but it works fine for me (on Ubuntu).

Are you generating from the latest in spf13/hugo:master?

Yes I do (post must be >= 5 characters).

Just did a fresh build and built docs with

hugo server --port=1414 --buildDrafts --watch

hugo version output is:

Hugo Static Site Generator v0.13-DEV buildDate: 2014-11-06T12:26:50Z

Also look fine to me, tested on OSX Yosemite with Safari and Chromium.

One thought: which go version are you using?

EDIT: looking at that its using last weeks build…new build seems to be at a different location now, hugo/hugo inside the git checkout, instead of at go/bin/hugo (my $GOPATH). Did something change in the build setup…?

EDIT2: Moved hugo into $GOPATH, as per readme. I could have sworn I never had to do that before but it’s probably just my memory :slight_smile:
End result is new version stamp and docs still work perfectly in Chromium and Safari.

Hugo Static Site Generator v0.13-DEV buildDate: 2014-11-10T12:04:48Z

Can you upload a screenshot? I also can’t reproduce this.

Michaels-Mac-Pro:docs quoha$ hugo server --watch --verbose --buildDrafts=true --buildFuture=true
INFO: 2014/11/10 Using config file: /Volumes/G-DRIVE Data/Software/hugo/docs/config.toml
INFO: 2014/11/10 syncing from /Volumes/G-DRIVE Data/Software/hugo/docs/static/ to /Volumes/G-DRIVE Data/Software/hugo/docs/public/
INFO: 2014/11/10 found taxonomies: map[string]string{"tag":"tags", "group":"groups"}
WARN: 2014/11/10 Unable to locate layout: [404.html]
0 draft content 
0 future content 
84 pages created 
15 tags created
0 groups created
in 174 ms
Watching for changes in /Volumes/G-DRIVE Data/Software/hugo/docs/content
Serving pages from /Volumes/G-DRIVE Data/Software/hugo/docs/public
Web Server is available at http://localhost:1313
Press ctrl+c to stop

Weird … my first instinct would be that space in “G-DRIVE Data” – but I did some renaming on my site, and it still worked fine …

I got go and hg installed but couldn’t get the master branch to compile, so I did the next best thing - I diff’d the non-functional pages against the working ones from the The big difference is a chunk that is missing when I render with hugo 0.12 (note that my original post said 0.13, that was just wrong).

              <li><a href="" target="blank"><i class='fa fa-edit'></i> Refine this Page</a> </li>



This fragment is in layouts/partials/menu.html seems to stop hugo v0.12, so it can’t complete the rest of the partial, which means that the div and aside aren’t ended.

{{ $File := .File }}  {{with $File.Path }}<li><a href="{{ $File.Dir }}{{ $File.LogicalName }}" target="blank"><i class='fa fa-edit'></i> Refine this Page</a> </li>{{end}}