The theme developer is the one who really determines if you can change the fonts used in the theme.
In the case of Ananke theme, there looks to be a file src/css/_styles.css that you can place custom CSS in, then run a command to generate a new CSS file. You can add the CSS you want to specify different fonts for your site from there.
That other question may not have been answered as it isn’t a Hugo-specific issue. Fonts are added via CSS, and that can be modified as an override or by modifying the theme. If you have questions about that, please read the theming documentation.
I’ll add something about this to the readme too (done). If you have specific questions about the theme, feel free to hit me up on the repo. I’m usually here in the forums, but if you drop an issue on the repo I’m sure to get it.
Thanks to everyone for your informative replies: you are a very friendly and helpful community.
I am slowly beginning to realize that the attributes of themes vary with the different authors, although within a given overall structure. I also realize that themes vary with the purpose of the website and that choosing something aligned to my purpose means that customization can be reduced.
Thank you @Leo_Merkel. I found your idea very appealing as it is generic and works across themes.
However, I found a difficulty with the suggestion from the link given because the + in the Google font name for multi-barrelled font names was being translated as %2b when the partial was rendered. This caused a 404 error and the chosen fonts were not being rendered.
I have since refined my solution to incorporate ideas I have encountered on this forum:
(a) CSS styling via variables should preferably not reside in a Hugo partial template, but rather should be handled with a CSS pre-processor. This allows fine-grained font control via add-on stylesheets.
(b) The loading of the Google Fonts may still be accomplished via a Hugo partial template.
Here is what I ended up doing:
config.toml has a variable called googlefonts set so:
Hi. I came across this post searching for the same thing. I wound up putting together something for a theme I’m working on - combining fonts, config file, partial and SCSS. Here’s the Gist link if it helps anyone. Or if someone sees a way to improve it, let me know.