: Data not supported for extension - error on all my sites after updating from 0.17 to 0.20.2

After updating from 0.17.x to 0.20.2, I get the error : Data not supported for extension '' read data from Icon when trying to run hugo or hugo server. This is strange, since I don’t use any data feature that I know of, don’t know what I’m to make of the Icon part, and my production company web site built fine under 0.17.x.

Anyone has any idea?

I’m assuming that you have a file in the data/ directory with no file extension. Data files must have a yaml, yml, json, or toml extension. The error is from here.

Thanks, that was indeed it! Removing the Icon file did the trick.

I think this is a bug, see this github issue. The Icon file is generated automatically by MacOS Finder and was ignored by previous versions of Hugo (which I think is expected and prefered behaviour).

Previous versions of Hugo ignored the ERROR, which was a bug that is now fixed. I will pull down that ERROR to a WARNING, but Apple should get their shit together and not pollute the users’ files with their app/system files.

2 Likes

Previous versions of Hugo ignored the ERROR, which was a bug that is now fixed. I will pull down that ERROR to a WARNING,

Thank you so much.

but Apple should get their shit together and not pollute the users’ files with their app/system files.

I wholeheartedly agree.