Concepts of Hugo, an introduction for beginners

Hi everyone!

I’ve written the Hugo introduction I would have loved to read back when I started.

The article is called “Concepts of Hugo” and aims to cover 90% of Hugo in less than 25 key points (or your money back).

I’ll appreciate any feedback you have to improve it:

• If you are a beginner to Hugo: did the article it cover your needs? What parts can be clearer?
  • If you are experienced: is there any technical mistake? Did I miss something important?
  • If you are a native English speaker: Is there any awkward phrase that can be simpler?

Thanks!

34 Likes

Man I could of really used this back when I tried Hugo a while ago. Props for the great content!

3 Likes

Good stuff!

I’ve only done a quick scan through, but it looks good. When I have more time, I will go through it on a technical level as well.

3 Likes

Indeed, very good stuff :+1: :clap:. Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

this is awesome! :1st_place_medal: especially good introducing using Hugo Modules to import themes right from the beginning, rather than the old way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Very clear and useful. Love that you illustrate with exemple. As a beginner, I would say my issues when I go further into Hugo are not the concepts / key points. This is more or less easy to find and well documented. The main issues I have are for more complex needs (functions, variables, etc). Documentation is very light and main issue they are no or few real exemples.
What I would love to find :

1. how to? with clear real life exemple.
  2. more details about functions, variables, etc and especially the logic and how to do when you have to mix few.

But even if I have almost integrated all the topics you mention in your article it will be super useful as a reminder / inspiration from your exemples. Thanks

2 Likes

This is fantastic! thanks for putting this together!

1 Like

Great introduction!

I would expect to find a link t it in the documentation as an external learning resource. Or am I mistaken?

If not, then I would create an according pull request.

1 Like

I would expect it to be part of the new documentation efforts.

1 Like

Thanks! Hugo has too few “introcution”/“beginer’s guide” :smiley:

1 Like

Super!
Side-note: you probably have a couple of leftovers at the beginning of this phrase: “Hugo makes This is the problem that Hugo aims to solve by allowing you to separate web design into two activities: content writing and template writing.”

1 Like

:+1: I’d be happy to help

Oops thanks. I’ll fix it

1 Like

Sure, but that will take its time and including a link to this article could be an interim solution.

I would say the opposite. Tons of good information to start but very little but for more complicated functions and cases.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll go through it now while I’m getting used to this site. :slight_smile:

Things noticed:

1.3 “Web design is its own field of knowledge and not everyone wants to invert time and effort on it.” the word “invert” is odd, “spend” is probably closer to what you intend.

2.2. “from other project.” → “from another project”

“But a cleaner method, more maintainable method is to:” → “But a cleaner more maintainable method is to:”

3.4 “Hugo gives to variables” → "Hugo provides variables "

3.4.1. “variables at the front” → “variables in the front…”

In the example “im” should be “i’m” and same issue for the next example in 3.4.2.

3.4.3 “The most important variables for” → The most important variable for"