I searched the existing posts and could not find a hit on this topic.
I would like to use <MARK>Some highlighted text</MARK> in a hugo site (or the markdown equivalent ==Highlighted Text==)
With the goldmark rendering in Hugo neither of these produce highlighting.
I went to Sign in to GitHub · GitHub which strongly asserts that they are common mark compliant. When I try the above in commonmark.js demo it renders reverse text.
I also found this entire fork of goldmark that seems to just handle this one code: GitHub - zuern/goldmark-highlight
Does anyone know what the issue is here?
You need to add this to your site config:
[markup.goldmark.renderer]
unsafe = true
And then <mark>Some highlighted text</mark> will work (I use that in almost all my posts on my Hugo site).
@bep Is there any chance to still make this a default?
I am not sure if that’s a supported syntax; at least it doesn’t work in commonmark.js demo.
It’s not part of Markdown or CommonMark. I would attempt this with a shortcode instead.
I author in Typora and if it was compliant I would see the highlighting live. It also makes the non-hugo rendering less and less human readable in other contexts.
However, the goldmark demo does render the <mark> tag - is that goldmark doing that rendering?
Can I just style the HTML element <mark> in my hugo theme?
FYI the MARK tag does not show up in rendered markdown when the element is not recognized.
Can I create a shortcode with the standard code so I get both renderings - like this?
{{<MARK>}}Testing in Production Like environments to find missing configuration information{{</MARK>}}
No, that’s just HTML.
Sure. Try it out.
Did you see this comment? (btw you don’t need to capitalize the HTML tags. Lowercase <mark> .. </mark> works just fine.
Yes. See the documentation for custom shortcodes.
Opps, just needed
In hugo config.toml
[markup]
[markup.goldmark]
[markup.goldmark.renderer]
unsafe = true
I also added nicer colors in a css override
/* Highligh colors for mark element and spans */
mark, .hlyellow {
background-color: rgb(2255, 247, 175);
}
.hlpink {
background-color: rgb(255,191,206);
}
.hlblue {
background-color: rgb(178,205,251);
}
.hlorange {
background-color: rgb(255,215,174);
}