Webeditor ready to dance with Hugo

Hugo is in it’s own league, when it comes to static site generators. But it needs a webeditor to get the same status as CMS.

However, the long awaited webeditor for Hugo may be at hand. Hokus seems to be a serious candidate at least.

Until recently Pendulum was the only option - known to me. But as stated up front: It’s a “simply markdown editor” for Hugo and others.

Hokus has raised the bar some meters with:

• A really decent admin interface capable of handling several websites
  • Just click a button to push to localhost:1313, or click another to publish to directory
  • Advanced control with input for front-matter.

Most impressing in my view is the number of field types (components), that you have at hand, when you configure your input for front-matter metadata. The variety and level of control is so high, that the field types have their own Form Cookbook.

This feature makes Hokus not only a dancing partner for Hugo. It also turns Hokus into a form-frontend for markdown - with applications for note-taking - or any other type of content management for that matter.

One shortcoming has to be mentioned, though. All posts for a given website reside in a long, flat list. A filter on headlines is available, but the overview may get lost, if you use Hokus to manage medium to large websites.

However, I shouldn’t be surprised, if the developer is on the way with a better interface for posts. So far he has managed to respond within hours on GitHub, and feature requests are converted to features with almost same speed.

5 Likes

Hokus is looking interesting.

Are you aware of Forestry and Netlify CMS?

3 Likes