Using Isso with Hugo

Hi,

I have used Hugo for a few years now, to have a simple blog. I just installed the Isso comments system on my server and I am wondering how to embed it in Hugo.

I found this article: “Adding Isso Comments to Hugo” Them's Good Broth! | Adding Isso Comments to Hugo and I am wondering if it is up to date or is it any other way to embed Isso in Hugo?

Thank you.

Edit: I am using the Hyde theme GitHub - spf13/hyde: Port of Mdo's excellent theme to Hugo

The article look well-written hence give it a try. It may not be relevant that is from 2017, but it may work. Come back here when you will face an issue with Hugo itself as don’t think you will get too many responses other way.

1 Like

I think I did it just as described under #9 - took like 1 Minute or so.

The REAL painful part is to get ISSO installed on the server.

1 Like

I found utterances simple to implement.

1 Like

Another possibility similar to Utterances is giscus.

3 Likes

I am using Isso for a few years now. I installed Isso as described at Isso — UberLab 7 documentation. Isso is accessible via a subdomain.

I integrated Isso with the following code.

Basically, only <a href="{{ .Permalink }}#isso-thread">Comments</a>
and <section id="isso-thread" data-title="{{ .Title }}"></section> is important.

The link shows below the article title whether there are already comments on an article. The link is optional and therefore does not have to be implemented.

With the section, the input fields with which one can create a comment as well as the already existing comments are displayed under an article. For example I/O Scheduler automatisch einstellen.

1 Like

Thank you, but I already installed Isso on my server, so I will use Hugo I guess :slight_smile: .

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you. I like your theme colors.

Well, actually it was pretty easy :slight_smile: … Reading the first article I mentioned

Adding Isso Comments to Hugo” Them’s Good Broth! | Adding Isso Comments to Hugo

scared me before I even tried…

I just added in single.html:

<div class="post-footer">
    <section id="isso-thread"></section>
    <script data-isso="https://isso.xxx.org/" src="https://isso.xxx.org/js/embed.min.js"></script>
</div>

Thank you all for your replies.

Thank you. Because I have almost no knowledge of graphics editing, I have kept the theme as simple as possible and tried to ensure that it is accessible to as many users as possible.

Just have a look at the CSS files and adopt what you like.

Giscus (heavily inspired by utterances) was trivial to install and has great features. Only downside is commenters need to create a Github account to comment. The way I look at it is this cuts down on a lot of spam and only people with something important to say will bother to create one (if they don’t already have it).

1 Like

There’s one more drawback: it’s a Next.js app, and thus “heavy”; one can mitigate that somewhat by:

• Using its lazy-loading option;
  • Hiding it (perhaps through use of <details>) by default.

The combination of the two will prevent all the Next.js JS from loading unless/until the reader chooses to see the giscus instance.