Supplemental pages to an article

Hi! I have been using Hugo for a while, I wrote my own theme for my site, and I’m really happy with it.

The challenge I’m facing right now is, I have Markdown content that is supplemental to an article I wrote and I’m not sure how to organize it.

Specifically, I’m confused about whether the supplemental content should be part of a nested section created specifically for the main article, or part of the page bundle of the article. What is the appropriate approach here? I don’t see anything in the documentation about using .md files as page resources. Can they be linked to and have a layout applied?

Thanks,
Carl

They sure can

That’s exciting. But how does this work? The documentation says “resources of type page will have no value” for Permalink and RelPermalink.

I like your site too! About your supplemental content: Do you want it to be listed on your Articles page or on any list page? If so, I would not put it inside a page bundle. Can you point us to one of your pages with supplemental content so we have a better sense of what you’re doing?

Thanks! I don’t need the supplemental content to be linked from the articles page, it could just be a list within the article itself. For example, on this article about computational research I want to add a supplemental page that is a list of some of the key ideas from the article.

I would probably do this with an include file, but for that you need to use one of Hugo’s markup languages that supports include files:

• Mmark-flavored Markdown
  • Org-mode
  • AsciiDoc
  • (probably Pandoc?)
  • (maybe reStructuredText?)

On my Hugo site I mainly write in AsciiDoc and use include files all the time (and that’s one of the things that makes me happy that I write in AsciiDoc).

I’ll let @zwbetz and others write about including files via Hugo’s bundle technology because (so far) I don’t have experience doing that.

Good luck!
N

PS - Now that I’ve read more of your site, I’ve decided that I :heart: it

I think I’ll try out a couple options here and go from there. Thanks! And thank you for the kind words about my site. :smiley: