[SOLVED] HUGO becomes Strange : don't Generate Pages without resaving them?

Big up to all the community :slight_smile:

I’m finishing a new website with Hugo… and I am not able to fix this Error.
It’s really troubling.
My posts aren’t generated, excepted if I save them during the hugo server runing

Explanation :

I do a hugo server : no content taken - 404 pages
Then I save one by one all my .md posts (server running)
I have all my pages that work

(First no pages, then you can see when I start my process of saving each .md file…)

I spend 2 days checking, making new theme, changing the menus… I don’t know.
I am running on MacOs… Perhaps a bug with the the last update ?
Perhaps a clue.
But my Hugo works with my other site folder…
I tried another texteditor too…

Thank’s you for your help, we are making a great community

My Repo : [https://github.com/valentincauro/Le-Desert-En-Ville]

Is there an error when you try to build the site? If so, can you copy/paste the error?

Hmm… I got a bunch of errors, but I think having the same for my other site…

Keauval-2:ldev valentincauro$ hugo server -v
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 Using config file:
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 using a UnionFS for static directory comprised of:
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 Base: /Volumes/HATE/DATAS/Work/Web/Le Désert En Ville/ldev/themes/LDEV_theme/static
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 Overlay: /Volumes/HATE/DATAS/Work/Web/Le Désert En Ville/ldev/static/
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 syncing static files to /
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 No translation bundle found for default language "en"
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 Translation func for language en not found, use default.
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 i18n not initialized, check that you have language file (in i18n) that matches the site language or the default language.
Started building sites …
INFO 2017/07/21 14:22:55 found taxonomies: map[string]string{“tag”:“tags”, “category”:“categories”}
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 [en] Unable to locate layout for “page”: [/single.html.html /single.html _default/single.html.html _default/single.html theme//single.html.html theme//single.html theme/_default/single.html.html theme/_default/single.html]
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 [en] Unable to locate layout for “taxonomyTerm”: [taxonomy/category.terms.en.html.html taxonomy/category.terms.html.html taxonomy/category.terms.en.html taxonomy/category.terms.html _default/terms.en.html.html _default/terms.html.html _default/terms.en.html _default/terms.html indexes/indexes.en.html.html indexes/indexes.html.html indexes/indexes.en.html indexes/indexes.html theme/taxonomy/category.terms.en.html.html theme/taxonomy/category.terms.html.html theme/taxonomy/category.terms.en.html theme/taxonomy/category.terms.html theme/_default/terms.en.html.html theme/_default/terms.html.html theme/_default/terms.en.html theme/_default/terms.html theme/indexes/indexes.en.html.html theme/indexes/indexes.html.html theme/indexes/indexes.en.html theme/indexes/indexes.html]
WARN 2017/07/21 14:22:55 [en] Unable to locate layout for “taxonomyTerm”: [taxonomy/tag.terms.en.html.html taxonomy/tag.terms.html.html taxonomy/tag.terms.en.html taxonomy/tag.terms.html _default/terms.en.html.html _default/terms.html.html _default/terms.en.html _default/terms.html indexes/indexes.en.html.html indexes/indexes.html.html indexes/indexes.en.html indexes/indexes.html theme/taxonomy/tag.terms.en.html.html theme/taxonomy/tag.terms.html.html theme/taxonomy/tag.terms.en.html theme/taxonomy/tag.terms.html theme/_default/terms.en.html.html theme/_default/terms.html.html theme/_default/terms.en.html theme/_default/terms.html theme/indexes/indexes.en.html.html theme/indexes/indexes.html.html theme/indexes/indexes.en.html theme/indexes/indexes.html]
Built site for language en:
0 draft content
0 future content
0 expired content
9 regular pages created
24 other pages created
0 non-page files copied
0 paginator pages created
0 categories created
0 tags created
total in 7 ms

Is it possible that Hugo doesn’t priorize well my layouts folder ? Or I did something wrong / Forgot smthg ?

Thx

I am starting an other site / template… and the same thing is happening. No content without saving.

:open_mouth:

Sometime when I save my .md, got

INFO 2017/07/21 15:07:36 Received System Events: ["/Volumes/HATE/DATAS/Work/Web/Congénères/congenere/content/stories/01.md": CHMOD]

what version of hugo are you running? hugo version
I have no idea why that’s happening.

Last one

Hugo Static Site Generator v0.25.1 darwin/amd64 BuildDate: 2017-07-21T16:11:40-04:00

And I was just trying to downgrade to 0.20… same result :o

you are the second person to have a similar issue on the forum but I’ve built a number of sites and never had such an issue.

Unfortunately, this is out of my league to help…

maybe @bep @rdwatters or @digitalcraftsman could weigh in.

I cloned your repo and built it (OS X 10.11.6, Hugo 0.25.1), and I get consistent output, with live edits as well as generating output to public. I can’t reproduce the behavior you describe.

Change detected, rebuilding site
2017-07-21 14:34 -0700
Source changed "/Users/j.greely/tmp/Le-Desert-En-Ville/content/creations/figure-du-silence.md": WRITE
Source changed "/Users/j.greely/tmp/Le-Desert-En-Ville/content/creations/lettres-vives.md": WRITE
Source changed "/Users/j.greely/tmp/Le-Desert-En-Ville/content/creations/voix-des-femmes-d-afrique.md": WRITE
0 draft content
0 future content
0 expired content
9 regular pages created
14 other pages created
0 non-page files copied
0 tags created
0 categories created
total in 6 ms
1 Like

Really ?

Wow…

I tried to do a hugo … and the structure is really wired too…
Perhaps you’ll see a clue in that ?

I’m getting maaad :wink:

I THINK I FOUND :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Is that possible that the ACCENTS of the PARENT folder had a bad influence ?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s messed up. I have no idea how you ended up with that le-désert-en-ville/ldev/content directory. Here’s what it looks like on my machine:

% rm -rf public
% hugo
Started building sites ...
0 draft content
0 future content
0 expired content
9 regular pages created
14 other pages created
0 non-page files copied
0 tags created
0 categories created
total in 13 ms

Only thing I can think of is to ask how /Volumes/HATE is formatted. Is it Mac-formatted, or an external drive with FAT32 or ExtFS?

(by the way, you’ve accidentally checked in .DS_Store files in your repo; you should clean those out and add it to your .gitignore file)

-j

1 Like

OOOokay !
In renaming my parent folder from “Le Désert en Ville” to “ldev”… it works…

I’ve Just lost 6hrs :cry:

Yes thank’s for the .DS_store advice :wink:

That did it. I renamed the directory from Le-Desert-En-Ville to Lë-Désert-En-Villē and got the same peculiar behavior. The number of pages went up after every edit, and the site was completely busted when I viewed it. This is probably related to Apple’s peculiar notion about how to decompose accented Unicode characters in file names (which is different from how it’s done everywhere else in the known universe).

-j

1 Like

The contents of the public/index.xml file shows the problem clearly. Diffed against the version where I had no accents in the directory name:

diff -r public-/index.xml public/index.xml
4c4
<     <title>Ateliers on My New Hugo Site</title>
---
>     <title>My New Hugo Site</title>
6c6
<     <description>Recent content in Ateliers on My New Hugo Site</description>
---
>     <description>Recent content on My New Hugo Site</description>
14c14
<       <link>/voyageurs/juliette-kempf/</link>
---
>       <link>/l%C3%AB-d%C3%A9sert-en-vill%C4%93/content/voyageurs/juliette-kempf/</link>
17c17
<       <guid>/voyageurs/juliette-kempf/</guid>
---
>       <guid>/l%C3%AB-d%C3%A9sert-en-vill%C4%93/content/voyageurs/juliette-kempf/</guid>
1 Like

you da real mvp