Simply check hugo-extended version from the command line

I am creating my site with Wowchemy, which recommends using Hugo Extended version 0.101.0. However, even when installing hugo with

scoop install git go hugo-extended nodejs

I always get version 0.88.1:

PS D:\GitHub\starter-hugo-academic> hugo version
hugo v0.88.1-5BC54738+extended windows/amd64 BuildDate=2021-09-04T09:39:19Z VendorInfo=gohugoio

I imagine that hugo has not the same version as hugo-extended, so I tried:

PS D:\GitHub\starter-hugo-academic> hugo-extended version
hugo-extended : The term 'hugo-extended' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ hugo-extended version
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (hugo-extended:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

How can I simply check the version of hugo-extended from the command line? Despite the simplicity of the question, I could not find similar threads on Google or this forum. Thanks.

Same binary name so just:
hugo version
should work for either.

Ok, but then why do I always get version 0.88.1: even though I install the latest version 0.110.0 or 0.101.0?

Open Windows PowerShell and type:

Where.exe hugo

Paste the results.

1 Like

Thanks! That was really useful! I was installing with scoop. But I had not realized there was an old conflicting version installed with chocolatey :see_no_evil: I uninstalled the chocolatey version and then hugo version picked up the right one. Thanks!

Edit: I was also specifically looking for a command like Where.exe! Really nice and useful, thanks.

You can also use

gcm -all hugo --> shows all instances
gcm hugo --> shows which will be used
1 Like

gcm -all hugo → shows all instances
gcm hugo → shows which will be used

Very cool and useful, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.