How to check whether extended Hugo or not

Is there any way, like a variable, to check whether Hugo version is extended version or not.

For example, say a variable hugo.Extended with value true if extended version and false if normal version.

I think it will be helpful in making the code run (say with a simple if statement) on any machine without caring whether Hugo’s extended version is installed there or not.

2 Likes

Not exactly what you’re asking, but this might be helpful

It certainly is useful. But, it might be quite handy to have a variable like hugo.Extended to ensure that project runs even on a machine where say asset pipeline is not available. @pointyfar, @bep, @davidsneighbour, thoughts?

I like the idea of having a variable available that hands us (template devs) a way to know what is running locally. This should not be limited to isExtended… Maybe:

• version (string 60.0.1)
  • semver as an array ([ 60, 0, 1 ])
  • isExtended (true/false)
  • modules as an array (to check if npm was installed)

This could be done by a local script, but in my experience NOBODY reads the README until something stops working and people got told to RT(F)M :wink:

So, yeah, I am for a hugo setup variable or some kind of standard way to find that out. I don’t know a thing about Golang, but if we can catch errors somehow we can react to them in the templates?

1 Like

The way I am doing it in my templates by the way would still lead to errors on hugo server if extended is not available. Maybe it might be good to create a way to stop the server from within the template system. Like an exception that can be thrown with a nice error message. I remember that this is not possible due to Golang restrictions.

This is included in the CLI --version command (which calls this function) info, so it should be simple to modify the build-it variable {{ Hugo.Version }} or add a new one.

Looks like the hugo object already has a IsExtended property. So if you want this, save @bep some work and submit a pull request modifying this file with something like this added in:

func (i Info) IsExtended() bool {
	return IsExtended
}

Then also update the docs etc :wink:

Done. Hope the PR is accepted.

I’m have not read this discussion in detail, but:

Which is meant as a way to tell Hugo what “you need”. It currently prints a warning (I think) if there is a version mismatch and this check does take the extended attr into account.

As a general remark: You can fail the build by using the errorf function.

Sorry for late.

I am not aware with Go syntax, yet by looking at the way things were written, I updated test file too, which is causing the build to fail. @angus could you please take a look.

I have added another commit that undid the commit causing the build to fail. (Commit message went with a typo, sry.)