Please maintain a PPA for Debian folk: Debian, Ubuntu, Elementary, etc

Hi there

Currently there’s not any PPA to install Hugo on Ubuntu simply or at least I couldn’t find!

I take it this is some kind of package? Hugo is very easy to compile, but, if you think a PPA is useful, you could contribute one.

So it is a package repository used in Ubuntu etc., so it would have to be installed on a file server. I agree it would be very nice, but for something actionable to happen, this should be tracked on GitHub.

Addend:

I know @anthonyfok has created packages in Debian unstable; not sure if it is possible to get it from there into some semi-official PPA?

PPA is a way to install apps on Ubuntu and other debian-based OS from non-official repos hosted on Launchpad. A PPA is a deb files holder.

For example, here is Cantata Music Player PPA: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/cantata-qt

1. We install it by adding PPA to our system: add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata-qt

2. Then we install it simply by native package manager: apt update && sudo apt install cantata.

So, as it takes time for Hugo to be added officially via Debian-unstable repos (as upstream for Ubuntu, of course if you have a created one repo there), a PPA would be something useful.

1 Like

@anthonyfok what do you think about this?

As you’re providing deb files, so you just need to have a LaunchPad account.

@Rea wrote:

As you’re providing deb files, so you just need to have a LaunchPad account.

Actually, an official Hugo package for Ubuntu is already available at Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- hugo, and can easily be installed with apt-get once you upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial), scheduled to be released in two weeks on April 21, 2016.

Even if you are using an older version of Ubuntu, you should be able to install the .deb files from Ubuntu – Error directly.

@spf13 wrote:

@anthonyfok what do you think about this?

It is an interesting idea, and I think it would be a good venue for providing latest release (e.g. 0.16) and nightly builds, and for allowing apt-getable installation from older versions of Ubuntu.

That said, it will likely take quite a bit of time to set up and to maintain, especially because Ubuntu’s PPA only accept source package upload, meaning that all the .deb packages are to be built from source on Ubuntu’s cloud servers. Yes, that means all the dependent source packages also need to be uploaded.

Fortunately, 16.04 (xenial) and 14.04 LTS (trusty) both have Go1.6 available or backported, so it shouldn’t be too much work if we were to support just these two versions.

I played with Launchpad a few hours this afternoon, and eventually created an empty PPA repository at https://launchpad.net/~hugo-authors/+archive/ubuntu/ppa. However, it would probably be quite a while yet before I attempt my first upload to the PPA.

5 Likes

Hello everybody,

I just saw this discussion here and thought I’d reply since we just added a snapcraft.yaml file in hugo’s source and that could make providing packages for Debian, Ubuntu and Elementary a lot easier.

As I already worte in the PR linked above, snaps are a new way of shipping software. They are self-contained and confined apps, all that’s required is snapd on your system. It’s installed by default since Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and made its way into many other distributions like Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, openSUSE, OpenEmbedded, Yocto and OpenWRT.

The process of creating a snap is very simple. It’s just a matter of running snapcraft on an Ubuntu machine and a matter of snapcraft push to upload the snap to the store. As hugo already makes use of CI, it might be an idea to add a job which build a snap:

• of current tip (maybe once a day) and push it to the edge channel of the store
  • of the newest release tag and push it to the stable channel of the store

The good thing would be that the snap would immediately be available to all users who have snapd installed and they’d get just what you tested.

The release process would also be less involved than maintaining PPAs and doing uploads for all current Debian and Ubuntu releases.

If you need any help for publishing hugo to the store, let me know.

Have a great day,
Daniel

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s a more recent discussion about this, but a PPA is a must for users of the Windows Subsystem for Linux, which sadly doesn’t support Snaps. Are you planning to set one up eventually?

I am not sure we have many folks using Windows Subsystem for Linux. Snappy largely solved this issue for us, as PPAs are kinda hard to set up (a lot more steps than the current build system).

This isn’t patronizing, and I know I wouldn’t want to use it this way (dedicated GNOME user here), but Hugo can be used in Windows. I don’t actually use Hugo much beyond template development, so maybe that would work as a bandaid in the meantime, if you are just writing content and running the server for previews.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m doing for now, and it’s fine. Not ideal, but fine. :slight_smile: