Need help with Hugo and Bitbucket

Hello! I would like to use Bitbucket’s free private repo to host a Hugo site.

I am having tons of difficulty:

• connecting the two
  • adding the theme I would like

I have scoured Stack Overflow and used a bunch of 3rd party tools but nothing is achieving what I want. I have been using the command line to clone repo after repo with zero success.

Here’s what I last tried:

hugo new site test
git clone https://github.com/nurlansu/hugo-sustain.git themes/hugo-sustain
git clone https://[username]@bitbucket.org/[username]/[repo].git
git status

On branch master

No commits yet

Untracked files:
(use “git add …” to include in what will be committed)

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use “git add” to track)

git push origin master
error: src refspec master does not match any.
error: failed to push some refs to ‘origin’

I really need a “Hugo + Bitbucket” for dummies session. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Did the steps listed on the Publishing a Website on Bitbucket Cloud page help you or not?

There’s also a official Hugo tutorial here (although there is a single 3rd party tool that you may not want). But when I Google ‘bitbucket static website hosting’ there are plenty more guides.

I’m not sure how much value we can add here on the Hugo forum to the information that’s already online, especially since the error you posted is a Git issue, not something related to Hugo or BitBucket itself.

Also, for your Git issue there’s also plenty of information online, including this official documentation from BitBucket itself. (See step 5 from that page.)

For the other issue in your post (adding a Hugo theme) you’ll need to provide much more information. Like, for instance, why adding a theme doesn’t work, which kind of errors you get, what you tried, and so on.

Thanks for replying. I think the main issue is: how do I create a Hugo site and add it to a repository? All of the documentation I have found is about creating one repository. I have been trying to create a Hugo site and creating a git repo within that Hugo site root folder. Should I be doing something else?

Also, the help docs for Hugo + Bitbucket include Aerobatic, which now incurs a $15/month fee. I am looking for an alternative (free) to this: