Is Hugo a good option for a site of quotes?

I have a WordPress site (https://www.gregraven.website) that consists of quotes I’ve found interesting over the years. There are around 1,300 quotes there currently. I’m wondering if Hugo would allow me to get away from WordPress for this content? I’m thinking that having author directories would allow me to show lists of quotes by authors, with separate pages for each quote. I would need category pages, which also seems possible, and a front page probably showing just authors and categories. I’m guessing I could use Google CSE for search, and Hugo seems to offer built-in RSS feeds. The quotes don’t have dates as you would see in a normal blog (which is how it’s set up in WordPress now), so my question is whether I’m on the right track, or if I should just leave everything in WordPress.

Everything you need is doable with Hugo.

But Google CSE will be shut down in 2018.

You could implement search with Algolia or Lunr.js in a Hugo project.

I’ve discovered this: https://www.addsearch.com/

Its a crawler based system (so really easy to implement), but costs $29 per month for up to 1200 pages. I am seriously considering this solution, but have NOT tested it yet.

Google will shut down Site Search, not GCS. i.e.: Google Custom Search won’t have a commercial version but it will continue working.

Yeh, but it will have adverts on it.

True. But it will have Google branding and adverts.

Yeah, Hugo is a “good option”. But what is your pain point with WordPress? Your question is good if starting from scratch, but you already have a site, so what advantage are you searching for?

Good question. Aside from the fact that WordPress is so modal for some operations that it drives me nuts, I have a really sweet deal on WP hosting that is almost too good to last forever. I’m trying to look ahead to what options I might have in the future.

So, I’m trying to explore my options for a creative environment that would be more agile, that wouldn’t generate such a high demand for quality hosting.

I don’t know what “modal” means in this context. Please explain! :slight_smile:

For a quote site, I probably wouldn’t reach for WPEngine. Do you know if your on-site search is used very often? I ask, because I do a lot of search indexing stuff in WordPress, but my own personal sites almost never get searches that aren’t me; instead it is search traffic or direct links.

Even with so many quotes, I don’t think your site is doing anything to break the bank, resource-wise. Without knowing your stats, I’d move to a cheaper hosting, or if search isn’t required, I’d go all in with Hugo. That’s my two cents. :slight_smile:

By “modal” I mean that if you want to edit several items, WP expects you to do them one at a time, conducting a find or filter operation after each individual edit. You can get around this by option-clicking the edit link to open a new window/tab, but it’s still frustration.

Also, if you want to change the category on several items, batch editing allows you to add categories only. To remove categories you must edit each item individually.

I don’t care if anyone else uses the search function: I use it a lot.

I’m getting a great deal with WPEngine hosting, so that’s not an issue. If worst came to worst, I could move my WP sites over to my Digital Ocean account and have comparable performance, but WP would still be modal and still not be really a good fit for this site.

Given the dozens of hours it would almost certainly take to convert it (not counting the time it would take to learn Hugo), you are no doubt correct that the game isn’t worth the candle. I started out with static sites a quarter century ago, so the thought of ditching WP for something more static exerts a powerful pull.

Assuming this is a project you really care about (you have obviously spent some time collecting these), I would say go for it. Having these in static files has many benefits I would say, and the porting to Hugo would also maybe encourage you to refresh the look-and-feel. And once you are done, the hosting part is cheap and easy.

I’d say hugo’s absolutely a good fit for a quote site. If you choose it, it’ll be interesting to see how it works out.

As for cheap hosting you can look into Webfaction or Amazon AWS S3.
Webfaction is more typical, in that it’s using Centos so you can deploy via rsync or sftp. S3 is kind of an odd duck, but still interesting. Webfaction is iirc ~10 dollars a month for something like 100G space and bandwidth both. Some others on here use S3 so you could search and find out how much it’s costing them. I imagine not much.

Hugo is all text files, so you won’t have an advantage there. Unless you’ve got some scripting under yer belt, it is going to be many manual edits.

I’ve found that I use my local file system search to find information. Since all your quotes will be in text files, you will have them indexed on your local machine. Very fast!

Hugo does take some time to grok, but converting is a straightforward ordeal. I documented some of the steps I took, and for the most part it is running an export that dumps all your content into a directory, and then massaging the front matter to match your site. You’d even be able to map the tags and categories.

More time will be spent figuring out your config, theming the site, and then figuring out where you want to host it (so you can deploy it when you make updates to the site).

For your purposes I’d jump right in with Netlify, your use easily falls under their free plan.

1 Like

TIL Netlify has a free plan; nice.

Interesting choice of hosts. For me, Netlify would be in first place with Digital Ocean a close runner-up.

I use BBEdit. Collecting all the files as a project would give me tremendous flexibility in search, editing, etc.

Thanks for the link to your conversion recommendations. I look forward to checking it out.

1 Like

Yes, I’d forgotten; DO is great with super documentation. Another is Linode which is similar in nature. Both of those allocate you a vm which you maintain, while Webfaction is a shared host with ssh access. They do the OS patching for you.

If I’m tired of vim I use BBEdit as well. Solid editor.

If you set up your Digital Ocean droplet using ServerPilot, ServerPilot will automatically apply all OS and WordPress updates.

1 Like

After my first export I found that WordPress had retained a bunch of information from the transition from Tumblr to WordPress, as well as some other old metadata. I went it with PHPMyAdmin and cleaned out the MySQL database, and then re-exported the data.