Hugo themes and non-Git(hub)

Hello,

I know that one can install Hugo theme by just unpacking tarball/zip file within themes folder, but I wonder if it is possible to contribute Hugo theme if one does not use Git(hub) but some other hosting solution and/or DVCS?

In my case I use Fossil for all my personal projects and I could export my theme(s) from time to time from Fossil to Git, but not realy 2-way incremental sync, so wonder if that would be acceptable way in order to contribute themes to Hugo?

Otherwise, I’m aware that one can always post announcement in the forum with all the details (yes, I’m thinking about free themes)…

Hello @gour,

I’m the Hugo theme repository maintainer. Our current system to maintain Hugo themes and the corresponding website www.themes.gohugo.io relies on public Git repositories and Github to manage all of them.

All I need is a remote url to a public Git repository to add is as submodule in https://github.com/gohugoio/hugoThemes. Themes on Gitlab worked fine so far. If you’re able to sync your work tracked in Fossil with a Git repository I don’t see a problem.

You’ve to decide whether the usage of Fossil and the sync to Git adds too much overhead and delays.

digitalcraftsman gohugo@discoursemail.com writes:

Hello @gour,

Hiya!

I’m the Hugo theme repository maintainer. Our current system to
maintain Hugo themes and the corresponding website
www.themes.gohugo.io relies on public Git repositories and Github to
manage all of them.

OK.

All I need is a remote url to a public Git repository to add is as
submodule in GitHub - gohugoio/hugoThemes: A curated directory of Hugo themes.

OK.

If you’re able to sync your work tracked in Fossil with a Git
repository I don’t see a problem.

I can provide updatesin ‘quantum leaps’, iow. as 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 releases
when I can export Fossil repo into Git format since, afaik, full 2-way
sync by using fast-import/export marks does not work so well…

You’ve to decide whether the usage of Fossil and the sync to Git adds
too much overhead and delays.

With the above-described scenario when only releases are synced it’s not
a too big overhead.

Sincerely,
Gour

Once you’re ready open a new issue at https://github.com/gohugoio/hugoThemes/issues with a link to the Git repository of your theme :slight_smile: