Hugo 0.52 Released

Spread the word.

13 Likes

As always: Thank you, bep and contributors for one more hugo release this year!

If you ever wanted to give hugo a try on your Android phone or tablet, have a look at my Termux extra repo with up-to-date hugo packages - now shipping v0.52/extended.

3 Likes

This is a pretty interesting release. Cache controls look cool. I’m not too keen on the Inline Shortcode feature. I understand the need but I prefer to keep my content clean.

But what really caught my eye is the undocumented commented out front matter feature. This will be making Markdown Preview look as it should be. So thank you for fixing this. :+1:

Also I would like to point out that the Docs need to be regenerated. Currently the following link from the Release Page throws a 404 error:
https://gohugo.io/getting-started/configuration/#configure-file-caches Fixed

And this page is missing the relevant section about Inline Shortcodes:
https://gohugo.io//templates/shortcode-templates/#inline-shortcodes Fixed

1 Like

I implemented that feature just to get the Bootstrap people committed to going with Hugo. They have plenty of ad-hoc inline Liquid code that would not be practical to replace with regular shortcodes. I guess other will also find this useful, but it’s not for everyone.

6 Likes

Wonderful. This is definitely a Hugo year. Thank you all!

2 Likes

If I’m understanding correctly, the inline shortcode is similar to the way Jekyll allows you to use Liquid tags within Markdown correct? If so, this is a major boost to people switching over. I much prefer Hugo but that one was Jekyll feature I sorely missed.

1 Like

That is correct.

2 Likes

Brew - a macOS package manager - updated :white_check_mark:
Snap Package - the Hugo Snap (Snapcraft) package for Linux distributions

• traditional release - updated :white_check_mark:
  • extended release - updated :white_check_mark:

Docker/CI Image - a Hugo Docker image for Continuous Integration - updated :white_check_mark:
Debian (sid) - updated :white_check_mark: (Track link)
Ubuntu (cosmic) - updated :white_check_mark: (Track link)
Fedora Copr - Hugo RPM packages for Fedora and CentOS - updated :white_check_mark:
Chocolatey Package - the Hugo Chocolatey package for Windows

Scoop - another Windows package manager - updated :white_check_mark:

1 Like

i’m very noob and was used to Jekyll where Liquid was everywhere…
but can’t use enableInlineShortcodes to print a simple {{.Page.Title}} in the markdown

i can use the useful {{% param myparam %}} but could i create dump shortcode that executes my custom template code in a page?

as i raise the topic: i have several pages that aren’t exacly “content”, but data elaboration… i don’t want to write a template for each of them, so if there was even just a frontmatter “enableTemplateParsing = true” for this page…

thank you! Hugo rocks harder

1 Like

I always figured there are only two approaches to shortcodes: 1) you use shortcodes and create (very small) Hugo product lock-in or 2) You don’t use shortcodes at all and keep your content purely “clean” and tech agnostic. If you’re already going with #1, I think it’s great to add more features like the inline templating. I mean, why not?

As a side note, I’ve been playing with VuePress and other sorta extend-md-with-templating in the JS community, and ad hoc templating inside content can come in really handy for things like documentation. It makes sense for Hugo—as a major player in the static ecosystem—to offer a similar feature, IMHO. Thanks for all the hard work and continually impressive project, @bep and community! Looking forward to playing with these new features as soon as I have time :smile:

1 Like

Since this is a release/announcement thread, you might get better feedback by opening up a new issue, FYI. Just thinking the community might not notice your support question where it’s currentlh written. Welcome to Hugo! :smile:

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

@gaetawoo See: https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/issues/5478

Hi, I’m on Linux Mint and the Software Manager hasn’t got a newer version of Hugo than 0.46… Possible to fix? Thanks!

Linux Mint supports Snaps. I’d recommend installing that way.

Sorry for the major delay. The Debian packaging of Hugo, has finally caught up. It had been paused since Hugo 0.48, awaiting for golang-1.11 to become available in Debian until 2018-11-20, but only until earlier this week that I had noticed… (my apologies)

Debian Package - Hugo .deb package for Debian and Ubuntu (built with “extended” Sass/SCSS support):

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ve update my post: Hugo 0.52 Released.

1 Like