Free Hosted Analytics Providers that Aren't Google

For me, analytics are useful to track performance, page views and 404’s. Having converted from PHP (WordPress), I’m still seeing lots of accesses to …/index.php which I now redirect to the actual page using Netlify’s excellent redirect capability. I wouldn’t know that those were an ongoing issue without analytics since I don’t get any log files from Netlify.

I don’t really need anything else.

To be honest I think that I am going to turn off analytics from the small projects I manage.

It’s not worth it… serving visitor’s data to 3rd party providers and I hardly ever bother looking at the stats.

If I ever buy a hosting plan again I might go back to AWStats or Server logs.

BTW I’ve looked into IPFS. This project has some big funding from private capital and it is looking into creating a decentralized web that aims to replace the existing WWW.

It’s very ambitious of them and it is far from ready for prime time.

I did the same. I never cared about looking at analytics. I cared about if anyone found any posts interesting and their feedback, but comments are useful for that.

After getting rid of the analytics, my site is so much lighter, and I am also respecting the visitor’s privacy.

Indeed they are far off. I was, however, able to use their CLI to stand up a remote datastore using IPFS in a matter of an hour or two. This was pretty nice considering the friction of setting up one’s own servers etc. to get something seemingly simple running. If I understand correctly Peepeth (a dApp) is using them even in their alpha version as they begin to scale their Twitter clone.

@TotallyInformation mentioned seeing attempts to access php files on his site. Those are a great reason to configure pretty URLs and try to keep URLs as timeless as possible no matter what blogging system one uses. A little planning now goes a long way to reduce headaches later when setting up redirects/aliases when URLs need to change.

Tangent: PHP being a dynamic (and very powerful) language for the Web it’s prone to hacks as we have seen countless times with Wordpress. Fun story too about PHP. I recently set-up a Discourse server using the 2.0 beta under Docker and, within just a few minutes of giving it a domain name, the server logs I was tailing to the console at the time started showing attempts to access a number of PHP files—likely an attack of the SiteBroker variety.

Back to Analytics, I agree they’re important for understanding UX. I believe what we need is to stop relying so much on JS to do this stuff and find a good (ideally hosted) analytics tool which simpy parses server logs. Perhaps AWStats does this. I’m not sure. Something to explore as that’s a relatively new tool for me—just don’t want to get vendor locked too much with my sites personally.

Meanwhile, as we work our way back to a server-side world, distributed or otherwise, this is one of the handiest libraries for open source analytics tracking I have found: https://github.com/segmentio/analytics.js

Fathom Analytics

Collecting information on the internet is important, but it’s broken. We’ve become complacent in trading information for free access to web services, and then complaining when those web services do crappy things with that data. (Hey Zuck, how was Congress?)

It’s not batteries included but it’s new and shiny, uses Golang and has a live demo.

Here’s an example implementation in the After Dark:

This looks like an interesting project. Keep us posted how this implementation goes for you.

No problem, Randy. You can keep up to date here in case I forget to loop back: https://git.habd.as/comfusion/after-dark/issues/1