Faking Simple Menus

Hugo comes with the ability to control how menus get generated. This post will focus on just the minimum needed to make a set of static menus look like they are dynamic.

I think that it is easiest to create a static version of what I am after and then make changes to turn it into a template. That works really well with the live reload feature.

You can find all of this at my repo.

A Hard-Coded List

The site’s menu is simply going to list most of the categories and provide a link to the list page for the category. My theme has support for showing the “current” menu item by highlighting it, so I would like to use that.

Here’s what the generated HTML should look like.

<nav>
  <ul class="menu">
  <li><a class="current" href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/" title="">Home</a></li>
  <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/">Templates</a>
    <ul class="subpages">
    <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/archetype">Archetypes</a></li>
    <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/menu">Menus</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/about">About</a></li>
  </ul>
</nav>

Note that I added the “current” class. To give it that dynamic feel, I want the menu item highlighting to change to reflect the currently displayed content. That is not as hard as it might seem.

I am using .Site.BaseUrl on the off-chance that I move this site to a sub-directory on my web site. I doubt that will ever happen, but it is a good idea, especially if you are working on a theme since you can’t predict what users will do with it.

Setting up the Front Matter

Hugo expects to find menu definitions in the front matter, so that is where I will start.

I want my menu to sort of mirror the tag and category structure, so I set my “menu” to the name of the menu that I want to associate the content with. For example, this article is about menus, so I add the following to my front matter:

menu = "menus"

For my “about” page, I set the value to “about.” For an article about the home page, I would set it to “homepage.” That aligns very nicely with the paths in my menu structure.

Create a Partial

I like to create partial templates for most of my work, and this is no different.

{{ "<!-- hugo: enter themes/blank/partials/nav.html -->" | safeHtml }}
<nav>
  <ul>
  <li><a class="current" href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/" title="">Home</a></li>
  <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/">Templates</a>
    <ul class="subpages">
    <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/archetype">Archetypes</a></li>
    <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/menu">Menus</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li><a href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/about">About</a></li>
  </ul>
</nav>
{{ "<!-- hugo: exit themes/blank/partials/nav.html -->" | safeHtml }}

In my template, I call the partial:

{{ partial "nav.html" . }}

I keep a browser window open next to my text editor so that I can see the changes every time I save the file.

Front Matter Variables

When you define a variable in the front matter, Hugo stores it in the .Params map. You just have to add the name of the variable to reference it:

.Params.menu

We can use a simple test to determine which menu item to highlight: if the articles “menu” variable is the same as the menu item’s path, then it should be highlighted.

{{ if eq "archetypes" .Params.menu }}class="current"{{end}}

One of the nice features about the .Params map is that it doesn’t throw an error if the variable isn’t defined. That means we can use .Params.menu even if the user forgets to define it in their front matter.

(Note - if you are doing something like this, you should provide a default like menu = "none" in your archetypes.)

Let’s update all the lines with that test:

<li><a {{ if eq "archetypes" .Params.menu }}class="current"{{end}} href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/archetype">Archetypes</a></li>

That works pretty well. If an article defines a menu, then the corresponding menu item is highlighted. There are a couple of problems, though. If the article doesn’t define a menu, then nothing is highlighted. Or if it defines one but there’s a typo (say “archetype” or “architypes”), then nothing is highlighted.

While that second issue is generally an unsolvable problem, I want the easy out for the first - highlight the Home menu.

Defaulting a Variable

This should be an easy thing to do: if the menu isn’t defined, provide a default value of “home.” My favorite way to do that is with the with template command:

{{ with (or .Params.menu "home") }}

That reads “In the following block, use .Params.menu if it is defined, otherwise use the value ‘home’.” It’s nifty.

<ul class="menu">
  <li><a {{ if eq "home" . }}class="current"{{ end }} href="{{ .Site.BaseUrl }}/" title="">Home</a></li>

Saving that, though, causes problems with the generated page because the with command resets “.” and that means .Site is no longer valid. The fix is to do the variable-local-shuffle:

{{ $baseUrl := .Site.BaseUrl }}
  <ul class="menu">
  <li><a {{ if eq "home" . }}class="current"{{ end }} href="{{ $baseUrl }}/" title="">Home</a></li>

Note - I could have done this using a bigger if on the Home menu item (basically "if .Params.menu eq “home” or .Params.menu is not set). The with is used so often, though, that it seems more natural this way.

1 Like

What the reasoning behind not using the builtin Hugo-menus?

It’s the way that I want to approach this. Start with static menus, then do a simple work around to make the highlight sync up to the content, then build menus using the built in functionality.