Errors in Hugo 0.58.3: various deprecations

I have been very lax in my blogging, and a recent system upgrade seems also to have upgraded my Hugo installation. However, now when I run “hugo” on my blog, I get these errors:

WARN 2019/12/08 03:04:34 Page's .Hugo is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use the global hugo function.
WARN 2019/12/08 03:04:34 Page's .RSSLink is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use the Output Format's link, e.g. something like: 
{{ with .OutputFormats.Get "RSS" }}{{ .RelPermalink }}{{ end }}.
WARN 2019/12/08 03:04:34 found no layout file for "HTML" for "section": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

I’m using the “blackburn” theme.although I haven’t updated it. What is happening now is that when I visit my site, rather than seeing a list of posts, all I see is the title “Posts” which must be clicked on to give the list of post titles only. The original list of posts (such as you can see on the blackburn developer’s own site) seems to have gone.

If my problem is a theme issue, is there a list somewhere of which themes play nicely with the current version of Hugo?

Anyway, I don’t really understand the warnings, and I’d also like my post list back… so I’d be delighted of any advice, or pointers to appropriate documentation. Thank you!

For the warning messages, I would follow their instructions.

For you post list change, see this GitHub issue for some history and potential fixes: https://github.com/gohugoio/hugoThemes/issues/682

1 Like

Thank you - well, I managed to fix the first two warnings: they have in fact been fixed in the current github commit of blackburn, but as I’ve made several amendments to my theme files I simply made the relevant changes manually rather than re-installing the theme.

I also fixed the post display issue by changing .Data.Pages to .Site.RegularPages in the .paginate section of the theme’s index.html.

However, the last warning has me beat: I can’t find it it has been sorted out in the theme’s new files. The instructions - such as you kindly point me to - seem quite verbose. I’m not sure even if I understand the last warning: does that mean I need a section.html file? Or a section section within index.html? Anyway, many thanks for your reply, and I’ll keep searching!

Taking a quick look at the Blackburn theme, my guess is that warning is saying a list template is missing.

A post was split to a new topic: Page’s .Hugo is deprecated