Error building site: failed to render pages: render of "home" failed:

Hello,

I am new to Hugo and would appreciate any insight/feedback I could receive.

I am working with hugo-universal-theme, and I get the following error when running [hugo server -D]

Error building site: failed to render pages: render of “home” failed: “C:\site\test\themes\hugo-universal-theme\layouts\index.html:17:11”: execute of template failed: template: index.html:17:11: executing “index.html” at <partial “carousel.html” .>: error calling partial: “C:\site\test\themes\hugo-universal-theme\layouts\partials\carousel.html:2:10”: execute of template failed: template: partials/carousel.html:2:10: executing “partials/carousel.html” at <len .Site.Data.carousel>: error calling len: reflect: call of reflect.Value.Type on zero Value
Built in 100 ms

Any hints where I should look?

Let us see your code

Include a link to the source code repository of your project, because we really need the context of seeing your templates and partials to be able to help you. It is trivial to do a quick git clone on your repo, then run hugo server in your project, to help you out. On the other hand, recreating your code from screenshots, or sort of guessing at it, is not.

If you can’t share your repository for whatever reason, consider creating a dummy repo that you can share, which reproduces the problem you’re experiencing.

1 Like

See https://github.com/devcows/hugo-universal-theme#carousel

You can disable the carousel feature in your site configuration:

[params.carouselHomepage]
enable = false  # default is true
1 Like

@tut, thank you very much. I had to be away for a few days due to personal items that came up.
Regarding github, I am new to the coding and technology world, I will setup a github account and upload soon.

@jmooring, thank you very much. I had to be away for a few days due to personal items that came up. Your suggestions worked very well, and I don’t get the server errors now. I am working on how to activate the sections I had to disable to get the server going, thank you again!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.