Downloaded theme not properly installed

I’m reading Atishay Jain’s ‘Hugo in Action’ to learn hugo, and I’m starting to develop my own business web site revision as I go along.

I found a theme on the hugo site, hugo-tikva, and downloaded it from the top-level directory of my site using this command from the Tikva doc:

git clone https://github.com/geschke/hugo-tikva.git

When I tried to start the hugo server it failed with this error:

$ hugo server
Error: module "Tikva" not found; either add it as a Hugo Module or store it in "/home/rshepard/development/web-site/hugo-my-site/appl-ecosys/themes".: module does not exist

Yet, in …hugo-my-site/appl-ecosys/themes is the directory, hugo-tikva/ Preformatted textand the file theme.toml.

What have I missed here?

I am unable to reproduce the problem.

Please share a link to the public repository for your project.

See https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/requesting-help/9132.

Let us see your code

Include a link to the source code repository of your project, because we really need the context of seeing your templates and partials to be able to help you. It is trivial to do a quick git clone on your repo, then run hugo server in your project, to help you out. On the other hand, recreating your code from screenshots, or sort of guessing at it, is not.

If you can’t share your repository for whatever reason, consider creating a dummy repo that you can share, which reproduces the problem you’re experiencing.

Joe,

There is no public link. When I complete this revision the html, css, and
javascript will be uploaded to my web site host.

Why might the hugo server tell me it cannot find the theme when the theme is
in the directory yet the server isn’t seeing it?

Rich

Hard to say without seeing your project.

I understand. Thanks. I’ll work on it; perhaps try another way of installing
that theme.

Regards,

Rich

If in your configuration file the theme is named “Tikva” and in your themes folder it is called “hugo-tikva”, then rename the theme to “tikva” and do the same in the configuration file.

Tut,

Thank you. I saw the difference between ‘hugo-tikva’ and ‘tikva’ in the
config file but didn’t catch the significance of that or the capitalization
in config.toml.

A lesson learned

Much appreciated,

Rich

It happens sometimes when you clone themes. Some have the hugo- prefix while others may have the -master suffix. So, you have to use the same name in the configuration file or rename the theme altogether and use that in the configuration file.

Tut,

Thank you. I’m starting to learn hugo to replace my current web site and
there are always subtle things I need to learn in addition to the move
visible ones.

Regards,

Rich

With Hugo, you keep learning. It is is very versatile. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.