HUGO

C-m-l.net - Switched my personal blog from wordpress to hugo

I finally managed to move my personal blog from Wordpress to Hugo: www.c-m-l.net

It is based on the great TailwindCSS-Starter from bep and the heavily modified Blonde theme.

The project took quiet some time, I guess around six months. Especially finding and modifying a theme and understanding the concept behind Hugo were quiet time consuming. However, in the end I found Hugo less complex than Wordpress and its thousands plugins and much more pleasant to work with. Also I am not a developer but a social scientist with a family and a full-time job, so I can work on the site only in my spare free time.

I guess that there are still many rough edges on the site which need polishing, so I really appreciate any feedback. :smiley:

1 Like

I have no idea what any of it means, but it looks great. Well done!

1 Like

Haha, thank you. It’s mostly in German, but there is an English version with a few posts :wink:

Yep. It looks like a scientists Hugo website. That’s what I love about Hugo, even scientists can use it :wink:

The “anfang, zurueck, vor, ende” is scientific, but for real Germans I would maybe change it into “neu, neuer, aelter, alt” or something like that. (German here).

2 Likes

I am not sure if that’s good or bad :wink:

Thanks for the wording suggestions, I will take them :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks great on handy too. Just a footer issue that might need some polishing (maybe some css honing)

1 Like

“handy” for the non-germans reading here means “mobile phone” in German. It’s a weird denglish term that got into use because those mobiles fit in the hand… thus handy.

Anyway: I had/have the same issues with navigations and moved to some kind of “yeah, live with it” place. But in general: on most websites I now use less page-numbers (3 instead of 5) and either use double arrows and single arrows instead of the words or do some kind of responsive solution that changes to arrows or hides the words on a certain width and below.

Because that looks kinda bootstrappey I think it will be very easy to configure.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback and tips @Mihai and @davidsneighbour!
In the end I replaced the words with arrows (though not only on small screens) and tweaked the CSS a bit. I hope that resolved the issue.

1 Like