Blank site when running a new theme (hugo-liftoff)

I’m new to Hugo (and Go). I am trying to setup a website using the Hugo-Liftoff theme and followed these instructions to set it up: 2. Getting Started · wjh18/hugo-liftoff Wiki · GitHub

However when I run the server, I see the warnings below and a blank site with Page not found:

~/code/website$ hugo server
port 1313 already in use, attempting to use an available port
Start building sites … 
hugo v0.115.1-857374e69358f788bd31ddc55255c5c8e3dcfd80+extended linux/amd64 BuildDate=2023-07-03T17:28:25Z VendorInfo=snap:0.115.1

WARN  found no layout file for "html" for kind "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN  found no layout file for "html" for kind "taxonomy": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

| EN  
-------------------+-----
  Pages            |  3  
  Paginator pages  |  0  
  Non-page files   |  0  
  Static files     |  0  
  Processed images |  0  
  Aliases          |  0  
  Sitemaps         |  1  
  Cleaned          |  0  

Built in 7 ms
Watching for changes in /home/sandip/code/website/{archetypes,assets,content,data,layouts,static}
Watching for config changes in /home/sandip/code/website/config.toml
Environment: "development"
Serving pages from memory
Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender
Web Server is available at //localhost:36645/ (bind address 127.0.0.1)
Press Ctrl+C to stop

My Hugo version is:
hugo v0.115.1-857374e69358f788bd31ddc55255c5c8e3dcfd80+extended linux/amd64 BuildDate=2023-07-03T17:28:25Z VendorInfo=snap:0.115.1

What am I doing wrong?

That’s because the newer Hugo will use the hugo.* configuration file if present, and the hugo new site generated hugo.toml. So the solution is that append the theme = 'hugo-liftoff' into the hugo.toml instead of config.toml.

Read more on hugo.toml vs config.toml.

Theme author here. That initial run is just a test to see if there are any errors. It’s supposed to look blank without any config.

The best way to get the example site with some content up-and-running is to copy the example config directory over from hugo-liftoff/exampleSite to your project root. As @razon mentioned, config.toml is in fact deprecated for hugo.toml. However, it’s backwards compatible for now and shouldn’t cause any issues. I’m updating this soon anyway.

Really the main issue here is that there’s no config for the project to read and therefore no content. That’s why I provide the exampleSite with config files. I will update the docs to be more clear and go straight to copying those over instead of running the site with a blank config.

Also note: please delete config/_default/languages.toml after copying those over to avoid a language detection error introduced due to a recent Hugo update. I’m removing that file from the example in the next release to prevent that.

Hi - Great theme - thank you. I tried these instructions but could not get the ExampleSite content to show. May I ask if you can let us know here when the updates will occur? Thank you so much.

Glad you like it. The updates mentioned above are all released.

It’s hard to say what the cause could be without seeing the repo. Has a new site been created with hugo new site <sitename> with the theme installed in that new site’s <sitename>/themes/ directory? Theme name should be the name of the repo, hugo-liftoff. You can download the files and extract them there manually or add the theme repo as a git submodule as recommended by the Hugo quick start.

Modifying theme files directly isn’t recommended because that makes it difficult to keep the theme up to date. You can use Hugo without a theme but as a general rule of thumb, if using one it should go in themes (maybe there’s a way with modules, but that’s more advanced).

It should work out of the box with the theme files included in <sitename>/themes/hugo-liftoff/ and the exampleSite contents copied over (to <sitename>, not the theme directory). There shouldn’t be a directory <sitename>/exampleSite, just each subdirectory should be at the top-level of your project (e.g. <sitename>/config, <sitename>/content, etc.).

Let me know if that helps!