Adding descriptions or other fields to metadata/taxonomies

I would like to make my list pages slightly more robust. For example, let’s say I have 300 articles (or posts, whatever). As part of my content strategy, I’ve decided to tag content not only by tag and category, but I also want to create an audience hierarchy as well. Let’s say I have the following audiences:

audience: 
  - plumbers
  - carpenters
  - police officers
  - firefighters

In my list page, I can create counts of how many articles are aimed at each of these audiences, but I want to make each of the values in the taxonomy slightly more robust so that when the user navigates to mysite.com/audiences/ they can see tiles that describe each block of articles that will come up on the next page. OR they could see a similar description at the top of the list.html page for each individual taxonomy item (i.e, mysite.com/audience/ vs /mysite.com/audience/plumbers).

audience: 
  - plumbers
    - description: We have curated content for you, the plumber. Check
    the following list for articles relating to plungers, sprockets, socket 
    wrenches, and Super Mario Brothers 3. 
  - carpenters
  - police officers
  - firefighters

I think I could do this by creating a separate section folder called audience with subsections/subfolders for each audience, but I’d rather have the convenience and utility of using the taxonomy support built into Hugo. Perhaps using a separate data file that compares the value of a separate YAML/JSON file to pull

audience: {
  plumber: {
    description: "We have curated content for you, the plumber. Check
    the following list for articles relating to plungers, sprockets, socket 
    wrenches, and Super Mario Brothers 3."
  }
}

But I’m not sure how I would even get started on something like this…
Any help would be greatly appreciated…