"XML no style information" error

So I have a hugo academic site that I’ve made (jrwrigh/jameswright.xyz_source) that I’m trying to publish to my GitHub Pages repo which has been redirected to jameswright.xyz. The data is moved from the source repo to the GHPages repo via a GH action (git{hub.}com/jrwrigh/hugo-deploy-gh-pages)* that simply builds the project and commits the contents of the public directory GH Pages repo.

If you go to jameswright.xyz, you’ll see that it has the error “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.”. When I run hugo server on my local machine, the site displays correctly. When I try to open public/index.xml locally, the site fails with the exact same error.

So hugo server is doing something that isn’t reflected in what appears in the public directory. Any ideas what’s up?

*Stupid site won’t let me put more than 2 links on a post, hence the random braces to trick it.

So the two issues (hugo server != locally compiled hugo and hugo server != GH Pages):

Hugo server does not match local
Not verified, but probably something to do with this: Hugo static styling not working, whereas hugo server works.

XML no style information on GH Pages
This was due to a problem in my GH Action script. There were warnings in the build that I didn’t catch before:

Building sites … WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomyTerm": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomyTerm": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "section": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomyTerm": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "section": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "HTML" for "taxonomy": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "JSON" for "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.
WARN 2019/11/29 20:46:29 found no layout file for "webappmanifest" for "home": You should create a template file which matches Hugo Layouts Lookup Rules for this combination.

I forgot to add a submodules: true to my action.sh in the GH Action, which caused hugo-academic (which is a submodule in my source repo) to not load correctly.

1 Like

For users of the actions/checkout action, this is where you want to enable submodules:

steps:
      - name: Checkout
        uses: actions/checkout@v3
        with:
          submodules: true