Wowchemy site stopped working (Academic theme)

The issue I am facing is very similar to a recent post (Wowchemy site stopped working), however the solution provided by @alcarazr which suggests updating Hugo Blox/Wowchemy installation through config.yaml and go.mod did not fix my problem.

The Wowchemy site I have (git repo) is based on an old Academic theme, which I have customized. I am now trying to build the website after several months of inactivity, and am running in the following errors:

$ hugo server
hugo: downloading modules …
hugo: collected modules in 31204 ms
Watching for changes in /home/balam/{.cache,Documents}
Watching for config changes in /home/balam/Documents/PROJECTS/repos/svalade.github.io_source/config/_default, /home/balam/.cache/hugo_cache/modules/filecache/modules/pkg/mod/github.com/!hugo!blox/hugo-blox-builder/modules/blox-plugin-reveal@v1.1.3-0.20240513194541-c2e9a799f797/config.yaml, /home/balam/.cache/hugo_cache/modules/filecache/modules/pkg/mod/github.com/!hugo!blox/hugo-blox-builder/modules/blox-bootstrap/v5@v5.9.8-0.20240513194541-c2e9a799f797/hugo.yaml, /home/balam/Documents/PROJECTS/repos/svalade.github.io_source/go.mod
Start building sites … 
hugo v0.127.0-74e0f3bd63c51f3c7a0f07a7c779eec9e922957e+extended linux/amd64 BuildDate=2024-06-05T10:27:59Z VendorInfo=snap:0.127.0

WARN  deprecated: .Site.GoogleAnalytics was deprecated in Hugo v0.120.0 and will be removed in a future release. Use .Site.Config.Services.GoogleAnalytics.ID instead.
ERROR render of "section" failed: "/home/balam/.cache/hugo_cache/modules/filecache/modules/pkg/mod/github.com/wowchemy/wowchemy-hugo-themes/modules/wowchemy/v5@v5.9.0/layouts/_default/baseof.html:11:403": execute of template failed: template: _default/list.html:11:403: executing "_default/list.html" at <.File.UniqueID>: can't evaluate field File in type *source.File
ERROR render of "section" failed: "/home/balam/.cache/hugo_cache/modules/filecache/modules/pkg/mod/github.com/wowchemy/wowchemy-hugo-themes/modules/wowchemy/v5@v5.9.0/layouts/_default/baseof.html:11:403": execute of template failed: template: section/post.html:11:403: executing "section/post.html" at <.File.UniqueID>: can't evaluate field File in type *source.File
ERROR render of "page" failed: "/home/balam/.cache/hugo_cache/modules/filecache/modules/pkg/mod/github.com/wowchemy/wowchemy-hugo-themes/modules/wowchemy/v5@v5.9.0/layouts/_default/baseof.html:11:403": execute of template failed: template: _default/single.html:11:403: executing "_default/single.html" at <.File.UniqueID>: can't evaluate field File in type *source.File
Built in 1139 ms
Error: error copying static files: open /home/balam/Documents/PROJECTS/repos/svalade.github.io_source/public/webfonts/fa-brands-400.ttf: permission denied

Any suggestion on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

You are more likely to receive an accurate and timely response from the Academic/Wowchemy/Hugo Blox team:
https://github.com/HugoBlox/hugo-blox-builder/discussions

They also have an active Discord channel:
https://discord.com/invite/z8wNYzb

I’m pretty sure you haven’t updated your Hugo Blox installation correctly. You probably have overriden some partials and have not propagated the necessary changes

Thanks for the suggestions!

It seems a lot has happened since I first setup my website, and I’m pretty sure Hugo Blox was not around at that time. So if auto Hugo updates did not take in charge the Hugo Blox installation, and if the go.mod file does not install such dependency correctly, than it’s likely I do not have a correct Hugo Blox installation.

I will need to wrap my head around how to upgrade the installation … Haven’t found any clear instructions on that yet (as recently discussed in a Hugo Blox Discussions post).