Unable to run server using win-64 binary - go executable not found

Hi,
I’m trying to run hugo on a Windows 10 machine using the guide here: https://gohugo.io/getting-started/installing/.

From the docs, I understood the binary I downloaded should contain all dependencies needed on Windows, but when I try and run “hugo server”, I get the following error:

C:\Dev\all-adrs>hugo --verbose server --disableFastRender
Error: failed to download modules: exec: “go”: executable file not found in %PATH%

C:\Dev\all-adrs>hugo --verbose server
Error: failed to download modules: exec: “go”: executable file not found in %PATH%

C:\Dev\all-adrs>hugo env
hugo v0.89.4-AB01BA6E windows/amd64 BuildDate=2021-11-17T08:24:09Z VendorInfo=gohugoio
GOOS=“windows”
GOARCH=“amd64”
GOVERSION=“go1.17.2”

C:\Dev\all-adrs>git version
git version 2.24.0.windows.2

I’ve also tried with the latest binary (93-3) and getting similar results (I’m using the older version since that’s the same as one in a Jenkins pipeline used to build our site for deployment to a server). Unfortunately the other folks working on the hugo-based site are using Macs and installing using brew, so don’t seem to have had this issue.

Tried running in a cmd shell with and without admin privs with the same results.

Are the docs misleading me and I need to install go as well? Or does anyone have any ideas what else I can try?

The site you are trying to build has a dependency on a Hugo module.
Hugo uses Git and Go to get those modules.
Install Go.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.