Unable to extend theme fails on my machine but no one else's

basic structure is that i am pointing to a theme, specifically:

theme = "github.com/bep/docuapi"

and it seemed to work for a while, but when i started the project up yesterday, it seemed to fail. it seems like it cannot see the theme. i am not sure why. errors are below. they seem to randomly flip between different errors, flipping between single and list

ERROR 2020/02/10 18:13:43 render of "page" failed: "/Users/michaelmclaughlin/go/src/github.com/brave-intl/internal-2/layouts/_default/baseof.html:8:8": execute of template failed: template: _default/single.html:8:8: executing "_default/single.html" at <partial "styles.html" .>: error calling partial: partial "styles.html" not found

ERROR 2020/02/11 10:01:57 render of "page" failed: execute of template failed: template: _default/single.html:8:8: executing "_default/single.html" at <partial "styles.html" .>: error calling partial: "/Users/michaelmclaughlin/go/src/github.com/brave-intl/internal/themes/docuapi/layouts/partials/styles.html:3:62": execute of template failed: template: partials/styles.html:3:62: executing "partials/styles.html" at <toCSS $cssOpts>: error calling toCSS: type map[string]interface {} not supported in Resource transformations

You must install the extended version of Hugo