Trying to make the home page static (Hyde-Y Theme)

Hello! :smile:

Sorry, first time using a static site generator, forgive me if do any stupid mistakes :sweat_smile:. I am trying to make the front page static. That is, make it a page generated using Markdown. By default, the front page in the Hyde-Y theme displays the posts.

I tried to use _index.md but it is not working :frowning:. I placed the _index.md file in the content directory.

Using Hugo Static Site Generator v0.19 windows/amd64 BuildDate: 2017-03-25T12:33:55+05:30. Thanks in Advance!

You’ve done the first step, which is placing an _index.md inside the content folder. The second step is to modify the templating.

Open the the homepage.html partial located in /yoursite/themes/hyde-y/layouts/partials. You will see:

<section id="main-content" class="container main_content homepage">
  <header class="container header">
    {{ partial "bloc/content/h1-title" . }}
    {{ partial "bloc/content/lastupdate" . }}
  </header>
  {{ $paginator := .Paginate (where .Data.Pages "Type" "post") }}
  {{ range $paginator.Pages }}
    {{ .Render "summary" }}
  {{ end }}
  {{ partial "bloc/content/pagination" . }}
</section>

Modify the file like so:

<section id="main-content" class="container main_content homepage">
  <header class="container header">
    {{ partial "bloc/content/h1-title" . }}
    {{ partial "bloc/content/lastupdate" . }}
  </header>
  {{ .Content }}
</section>

The original file is set up for pagination. The change does what you want, and you can read more about page variables here.

Check out @rdwatters work on overhauling the documentation.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @sethm for the instructions! I was near to figuring this out but I gave up because of my understand about the template system. You saved me a lot of work and headaches :smile: :thumbsup:

Very good project, from now on, I will try to use both resource so I can figure out things easily :slightly_smiling:.

Again, Thank you! :heart:

Hopefully you won’t have to check two places for much longer.

That said, please use hugodocs.info as your main go-to moving forward and please do not hesitate to reach out with suggestions for any areas of improvement.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, I will use hugodocs.info as my primary resource and will try to provide useful suggestions :wink: :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Another tip I would recommend here is to copy homepage.html to /yoursite/layouts/partials (the folder wouldn’t exist, you will have to create it) and then modify the copied file to edit the template. This way we can modify page generation without messing with the theme itself :slight_smile:

I just tested and it works very well, glad that I am making progress :smiley:

4 Likes