Successful Hugo Server, Unsuccessful hugo command build and AWS Amplify Deployment

Hello - I just completed designing my first site in Hugo and from what I’m seeing through the hugo server command it looks to be exactly all that I could have wanted and I have no other changes that I’d like to make. However, using the hugo command to build the website fails on my Bash terminal. Below is the error message I’m receiving and I have no idea what this is supposed to mean for me. Above it is the GitHub repository containing my code.

hugoquestion

Choosing to overlook this because my hugo server displays what I want, I tried deploying the website on AWS Amplify. However, the resulting website deployed by Amazon Amplify is totally different from what I’m seeing from the hugo server command. None of the big amounts of text that I included or other visual modifications are showing up at all and it just looks like a washed down version of the sample website in my “themes” folder is being shown after deployment.

I am a new user on this website and I am not allowed to add more than one picture to this post, I will try to add more pictures if this thread is continued because I don’t want to spam this forum.

I have no idea with how to proceed with fixing any of this. I would greatly appreciate any help with this. The GitHub repo containing my code is linked above.

Remove the submodule, then add it again.

From the root of your project:

git submodule deinit -f themes/SimpleIntro/
rm -rf .git/modules/themes/SimpleIntro/
git rm -rf themes/SimpleIntro/
git submodule add https://github.com/gangjun06/SimpleIntro themes/SimpleIntro
git add -A
git commit -m "Fix submodule"
git push

Thank you so much for the input, however, the result isn’t identical to what I had previously (the result that I was looking to deploy originally). I had made changes to the SimpleIntro theme, which were all only deletions of some lines of code within the theme and nothing more. Would this possibly be causing some problems with the build?

Yes. If you want to override a theme template (or whatever), copy it to the same path in the root of your project. For example:

mkdir -p layouts/_default
cp themes/foo/layouts/_default/single.html layouts/_default

Then edit layouts/_default/single.html.

That way you can update the theme (or uninstall/reinstall) without losing your changes.