Simple recipe site theme with nested sections

I just put hugo-theme-recipe up on Github. This is a clean, scalable design that currently supports one layer of nesting, and scales up to thousands of content pages (currently 12,276 on my work-in-progress test site, which builds in about 9 seconds on my laptop). It includes a few tricks like embedding referenced recipes for printing (using the new $.Site.GetPage "page"), a random-recipe link, and an alphabetical page index for large sections.

Two things I couldn’t find easier ways to do:

• Embedding .Content from another page is non-deterministic; each time you build, it may or may not render anything. Fields like .Title are fine, but I had to use .RawContent | markdownify to get recipes to reliably embed.

• Maybe it’s in the documentation that’s being written, but the only way I could come up with to get a link to the current nested section was:
    ($.Site.GetPage "section" (trim .Dir "/")).RelPermalink

-j

• Using .Content from shortcodes: There is a “chicken and egg” limitation re. including “yourself” so to speak, but I suspect what you are experiencing is some kind of “partial build while live-reloading” issue which should be fine when doing a full build? Anyhow, if no issue exists on GH, please create one.
  • I had .Current in my original “API discussion”, but I unexported it before release. @vjeantet also had some wishes in this department after redoing his great http://themes.gohugo.io/docdock/ theme – this is much easier to reason about once you start using it, and we should improve this for Hugo.Next.

Hello,

I overidded the built in relref shortcode to manage links to sections (_index.md)

See here : https://github.com/vjeantet/hugo-theme-docdock/blob/master/layouts/shortcodes/relref.html

With this trick, existing relref calls continue to work as before while handling sections/_index.md

2 Likes

No, it happens with a full build. For instance, if I use the example content directory I included with the theme, “Aunt Susie’s BBQ Brisket Poor Boys” has two embeds, and I can get either just their titles, or the title of the first and the full second recipe, or the first recipe and its embed and the second recipe. (using .RawContent | markdownify prevents the recursion in this particular example, which is probably for the best…)

-j

Still working on a solid repeat-by for this. The more calls to .Content from the shortcode in a single page, the more often it happens, but the specific recipe I included in the theme example triggers it much more frequently because it’s recursive (the embedded recipe has its own call to the embed shortcode). I need to construct a set of non-recursive samples that trigger it often enough to be useful for testing.

-j