Sidebar with tabs that show recent and featured posts

Hi guys.

I have a Wordpress blog that I wanted to convert to Hugo for a long time.

The thing that I miss on most Hugo themes is a sidebar widget with recent and featured posts, like shown on this Hugo theme.

The image below shows how the theme above looks like with the tabs on my converted to Hugo test website.

The problem is that I don’t want to get stuck to a theme just because of this feature. However, the HBS was the only Hugo theme I found with it.

What’s the best way - like a module - that I can use to install a sidebar widget that shows featured and recent on Hugo themes?

Thanks!

There is not a universal sidebar for Hugo themes, since each theme has its own layout and CSS (from scratch, Bootstrap, Tailwind and so on). I think the best way is to request a feature from the target theme’s author if you aren’t familiar to Hugo theme development.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and thanks for adding this feature on the HBS theme.

Your theme was the only to make me think that it would be possible to move away from Wordpress without missing any feature.

Are you going to introduce it in your new theme? I also like that your old theme supports AVIF and JXL with a fallback image format.

Thanks!

It’s possible to add an optional sidebar module with grid layout. You can track this feature on Add sidebar module · Issue #125 · hbstack/blog · GitHub, but it will be redesigned, and won’t happen so fast.

Need to be reconsidered, I didn’t see those formats got supported by most of the browsers like webp, see JPEG XL image format | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc and AVIF image format | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc.

Please feel free to request and track the feature on GitHub if you really want it to be introduced.

1 Like

AVIF (based on AV1/VP10) is a really good format for web images (highly compressed) and is supported by most browsers, even Apple - that dislikes open-source formats - embraced it last year.

JXL is great for high quality photography, but browser support is poor.

WebP is a really bad format (based on VP8), most times it’s even worse than JPEG (with MozJPEG encoder). I stopped using it on Wordpress years ago.

I’ll be paying attention to your new theme.

1 Like