Section vs Taxonomy for blog categories

I am interested in the opinion of other Hugo site creators about the value of using sections instead of taxonomy for post/blog categories.

A little more background … for my site, categories are top-level groupings of content and therefore there are only between 5 and 10 categories. In my posts folder, I have created sub-directories (sections) for each category. I like to do this to help me organize the *.md files.

Doing it this way allows for paths that looks like

/articles/<category>/<title>

and if I want to show a list page for the category it would look like this …

/articles/<category>

This is the reason why I am curious what the argument would be to use taxonomies instead for this purpose (e.g. adding a “category” parameter to the front matter).

The only difference can see is a change in path for the list page

/categories/<category>

Aside from the difference with paths, can anyone give me advantages to using Taxonomies over Sections for categories?

1 Like

Read about permalinks at first:

HUGO has elegant solution how developer can change links to any Taxonomies or Sections.
And after you will familiar with this option, you will find great capabilities by using url/slug/aliace frontmatter params and will be able manage your content more flexible :wink:

HUGO offers powerful tools to organize huge amount articles/posts with different types and nevertheless users will has nice, clear and convenient navigation on site.