Possible to Partial Update a Site?

Hello Community,

I apologize in advance if this is described somewhere or under a different name/concept. I did some searching of course but I did not see anything. So that is why I am posting here now. :slight_smile:

I basically would like to create a site and then only have a part of it update – a partial update if you will.
The idea is that I would build the entire site for major data updates, and then partially update portions of it when minor updates with certain content.

To give a little more context with an arbitrary example, let’s say that I have three types of content on my site:

• Authors

Currently, Hugo updates all three on a full sweep. However, for the next 6 months of time, I am only going to be updating Posts.

So, to save time, I would like to update my site so that when I run Hugo, only Posts gets updated, and Articles and Authors do not. They, in turn, would get updated at the end of the 6 months when a major content push gets made.

Again, these are all arbitrary examples but I hope my intent is clear here. Is this possible with Hugo? Or is the only way to update is to update the entire site at a time?

I realize that Hugo is fast (and it is!) so this seems a bit pointless… but I am also aiming to make it faster if possible.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide,
Michael

I can’t see why you would need to do this, unless you’ve got a massive amount of content.

But, you could make multiple sites and publish them in /, /posts, /articles etc by changing the baseurl of the sites to each respective sub-url, and publishing separately, while keeping the design the same so it looks seamless.

More trouble than it’s worth if you don’t have to, in my opinion.

1 Like

Indeed @RickCogley you are the echo in my head. :laughing: That’s the danger of learning new things, you start to get crazy ideas. :slight_smile: I am primarily wanting to make sure that I am not overlooking anything, and have a solid understanding of current capabilities and expectations. I think the sub-site/url idea is sufficient. Thank you for your assistance!

Partial builds will happen one day. It is on the collective mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I think I’m of a similar mindset. I just uploaded my site for the first time. It does have a decent amount of content because it’s a port from Wordpress. Anyway, it all works fine.

But it seems bizarre that when I run ‘hugo’ and then I go to my SFTP client and hit “synchronize” it needs to update loads and loads of pages when only a few actually changed.

I feel like I must be missing something. If it’s creating a static pages then the ones I didn’t touch really shouldn’t change, no? What am I missing?

SFTP just looks at the file timestamps, i am new to Hugo but i worked around this by using GIT. The files do not update unless there is a change, and SFTP is happy cause the old files do not change.

I am not sure if there is a simpler way to do this. Curious know know