I was researching a Hugo feature here on the forum and came across a
hugodocs.info link. I know that the ‘Hugo docs project’ is already finished, but apparently someone now uses
hugodocs.info as a spam/redirect domain.
When I followed one of the dozens of links to that domain here on the forum, I came across:
- A ‘congratulations you won 1,500 euros shopping credit’ page.
- An offline page (redirect timeout).
- And a ‘too many requests’ error, when I tried to refresh often to see where I’d end up .
This is not good, obviously:
- It gives a bad user experience that people on the forum here link to a domain that is now spammy.
- And there are likely SEO disadvantages for
gohugo.ioto provide do-follow links to a spammy domain.
@rdwatters, is this domain still under your control? If so, can you change the DNS settings so that the domain is completely offline? That’s easier to do than if a moderator has to edit all existing posts.