Pages Show Part of the Time, 404 Other, Stuck

So I’ve been working with Hugo locally over the past few days and I’ve come into a weird roadblock. Maybe I’m operating my structure wrong, maybe it’s a theme issue, or maybe I’m just not getting it. I could really use some help. The issue is sometimes the content displays correctly, and sometimes it shows up with a 404.

Detailed Explanation

I’ve created a new installation with a new theme installation. It has a content/index.md file, as well as an about.md and contact.md. I’ve created another folder, /start-here/ with six articles. I’ve tried moving the top-level to a home/ directory and other configurations without luck.

The issue is the top-level pages disappear sometimes, as do the sub-folder articles. I’ll create the pages and they display correctly, but when I reboot the server only some of them display. The missing pages give a 404 error.

I’ve studied github issues, I’ve tried the relevant threads (cant link them since I’m new), plus YouTube Hugo tutorials to no avail. I’m using the latest version of Hugo with XiaoheiAh’s Hugo Theme Pure.

What I’ve Checked

The pages are not set as draft: true, they are draft: false. They are explicitly set as pages. When I run Hugo server, I try a full rebuild.

I created a screen recording of the issue I’m experiencing.

At 3:00 in the video you see what I have is working and displaying correctly. I restart the server and at 4:00 and it breaks, despite no change in directory structure.

I know it’s asking a lot, but if anyone would be willing to take a look at the video it shows the issue better than I can explain in words.

Thanks for any help.

Rename content/index.md to content/_index.md.

See: