New branding and marketing site direction

My main problems with the current logo work (emphasis is mine, because I think gohugo.io design looks smashing) is

1. We have 2. Which I suspect is coming from @spf13 getting several suggestions from some designer, and not being able to decide … I understand the need for both a vertical and horizontal version, but they should be … similar.

2. They are owned by @spf13 – which mean we cannot create coffee cups or stickers without asking him.

Steve has said that we can fix 2 by putting an open source license on them. This has not gotten the priority it deserves. My problem is, I don’t know what license would be good for that artwork. On one side, I want the project to be able to use the logo as it sees fit, I also want the logo to be used in Wikipedia articles about Hugo, but we have to think about all the people popping up with “The Hugo CMS” etc. that looks kind of official with that logo (whatever official means in this context). If someone wants to think about this, please do, but in another thread.

I’m not sure 1) is a problem. I’m not a designer, but I’m a typography buff, and I see some issues with the current set. But I’m not sure it’s important enough. Being an open source project, we may have different requirements for this. It should look good on a sticker (the hexagon does that), it should stick out in a Twitter feed (the pastel colours does that). I’m not sure we need the “growing faster bit”. I see a tremendous interest in Hugo, and we need some proper AI to handle GitHub issues and do support here before we grow any further.

The outlined design above is very good, my main concern about this isn’t the design itself, but … time. We have to let these questions sink a little.