Meta - noindex by default ? (seo)

Need help. Is every new site with hugo go with meta tags on index page “noindex” ?

Shoud i delete just this one from index template to make sure my website is correct indexing for google and seo purposes?

Im asking becouse i have already sitemap for this site. Want to be sure make as much as i cant to be good positioned . Thx for reply

for example i notice:
public/page/1/index.html →
<meta name="robots" content="noindex"><meta charset="utf-8" />

etc like:
public/posts/page/1/index.html →
<link rel="canonical" href="mypage/posts/"/><meta name="robots" content="noindex">

I don’t understand this because when I check the source of the page in my browser I don’t see this tag. How can I check 100% that it is well set?

Hi! I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking here - Your first post seems to imply that <meta name="robots" content="noindex"> is in the outputted HTML, and your followup comment seems to imply that that tag is not there.

Hugo’s output is a bunch of HTML files in the public/ folder, so I’d consider whatever is there is the source of truth. But whatever ends up in the HTML is defined by the template you’re using, so if you were seeing the “noindex” earlier but not any more, it could be that you’ve changed themes or something.

Note also that running hugo or hugo build writes files to the public/ folder, but hugo serve does not – it serves from memory instead.

Either way:

• You should consider the HTML files in the public folder as the source of truth
  • The content of your HTML files is ultimately defined by the theme you’re using.

Does that answer your question?

Some themes test which environment you are using. If the page is not created productively, noindex is used in such a case. If the page was created productively, index is used. For example, gohugo-theme-ananke/baseof.html at master · theNewDynamic/gohugo-theme-ananke · GitHub (lines 12 to 15). Perhaps this also applies in your case.

2 Likes

I am not sure if my website is set up productively. How can I check it ?
I use netlify and on tab Environment variables , I have entered:
HUGO_ENV // production hugo

rly need help

You can begin by reading the forum Requesting Help guidelines and share your project for us to see what is going on.

I am afraid that your descriptions above are unclear as others have pointed out.

Also bumping a topic without providing additional info is not acceptable in this forum. Once you are willing to follow the guidelines and share the project feel free to open another topic.