Maybe you already knew this, but Netlify is better than AWS!

CloudFlare has a free plan and a $20/mo plan with HTTPS (SSL/TLS) and caching - that can be put in front of even a cheap shared hosting account - that should handle sudden spikes in traffic.

The site says their CDN is backed with 165 datacenters and their DDOS-mitigation is probably best-in-class.

@zendern do you have a source on this? fastly.com/investors doesn’t mention anything about Firebase/Google/Alphabet?

Fastly is the CDN of https://PyPI.org.

CloudFlare has a free plan and a $20/mo plan with HTTPS (SSL/TLS) and caching - that can be put in front of even a cheap shared hosting account - that should handle sudden spikes in traffic.

There is a rumor abut CloudFlare being blocked by many ISPs, but I’ve used it in the past with my shared hosting plan when these rumors were happening EVERYWHERE and I can say, from my own personal experience and from talking to some friends in the industry, that CloudFlare works as intended and it never gave any sort of problems or even the slight indication of a problem regarding being blocked by ISPs.

In my experience, their CDN is gold and anyone going their way should be fine.

That, and they are as fast as misery. Great service.

“RAM limits” for Netlify:

• Free Plan 100GB
  • Team Pro ($45/month) 400GB
  • Team Business ($290/month) 600GB

It may be written on their website as bandwidth but in the same way S3 is “basically the same” as lightsail, such is bandwidth to RAM.

As I understand it, bandwidth relates to the amount of data transferred, not RAM

My point exactly. Saying RAM and bandwidth are the same thing is entirely as accurate as saying S3 and Lightsail are the same thing.

Saying RAM and bandwidth are the same thing is entirely as accurate as saying S3 and Lightsail are the same thing.

I never said they were the same thing. I said they were pretty much the same thing, which is different. Here’s what I said, re-read it please.

by Javier Cabrera: Amazon S3 is pretty much the same as Lightsail (which came out later, based on their experience on how people were using S3 buckets to host static sites), you can find the RAM limits for Lightsail in this page: https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing/

Two different services, obviously.

Now…

“RAM limits” for Netlify. It may be written on their website as bandwidth but–

But nothing. It doesn’t says RAM, it says bandwidth.

Bandwidth, as I understand it (please someone correct me if I’m wrong) has to do with how much data you’re using. RAM, on the other hand, has to do with how much memory it takes up to process that data you are using.

Now, static web sites take little if almost no RAM, true. But they do take RAM, and when you have a spike in visits from one moment to the next, that’s when ***** hits the fan. Scalability for peak periods of traffic is a must when deploying a website, even a static one.

And for that, we need to know what we are buying.

I’m not saying no people should NOT use Netlify. Anyone’s free to do what they want.

I’m just stating the fact that, after people works hours and hours on their websites, they should think twice about where they will be hosting their websites.

Netlify offers a great service, I’m not saying they don’t. But they don’t disclose how much RAM their plans offer, not even in their PRO accounts. That might be a problem for some, for most, I reckon it won’t be an issue.

But, It is always to be ready for the best case scenario. Always. That’s all I’m saying. Anyone’s site can go viral.

One needs as much information as possible when choosing a hosting provider.

No need to create an account in the forum just to refute me in every post I make about Netlify?

I don’t know how else to explain this. RAM/CPU etc are taken up when your site hits high traffic but that cost is built in to the charges for bandwidth. The people at Netlify do exclusively static web hosting, they know precisely how much RAM they have to use to serve a website and they will adjust it accordingly. That’s the service they provide. The reason they can’t tell you how much RAM is allocated for you is because the figure is automatically changing constantly per-user all the time depending on how much they need. Whether you use Netlify or S3 or Filestore or whatever else, the difference between cloud services (Amazon S3 provides a storage service, Netlify is kind of that but a little more complicated and traditional hosting (Amazon Lightsail/Digital Ocean/Bluehost/Godaddy etc.) is that there are no limits on CPU/RAM because the services only exist to do that one thing.

You answered your own question. This is important because 90% of what you’ve said is wildly inaccurate. I’d like to explain these concepts to not only you but anyone else foolhardy enough to take your “advice”.

Think of cloud storage (S3) like a computer’s hard drive, and a shared or partitioned server (shared hosting/Lightsail) as a whole computer. What you’re doing is the equivalent of saying “Dell is better than Western Digital because Dell tells you the amount of RAM in their hard drives and Western Digital won’t tell you how much RAM is in theirs.” then doubling down on that with “The Inspiron laptop is basically the same as a hard drive”. AWS S3 and Netlify are already kind of Apples and Oranges, shared hosting is like Shrimp. As hard as it is to compare Apples and Oranges, it’s ludicrous to say Oranges are “better” than Apples on the merit that Apples aren’t shrimp.

Netlify isn’t anything special, it produces essentially the same as setting up all the AWS services yourself. The reason this thread says it’s better, is because with Netlify you don’t have to set up as much yourself. Their free tier is currently better but you’re right on the money that they won’t be able to keep up a price war with Amazon. To me, it’s worth whatever extra I’ll end up paying to save time and have support that’s more specialized in setting up Jekyll/Hugo/etc. sites.

Yeah the title is a bit clickbaity. Like I said AWS and Netlify are Apples and Oranges.

This thread has run its course I think.

1 Like

Just to nip this in the bud. For those trying to compare, here’s a table of the actual advantages of both.

AWS

• Titan of industry, basically guaranteed to stay open and actively supported for years
  • AWS owns their own infrastructure, since Netlify doesn’t their at the mercy of other’s prices for servers and such.
  • AWS includes tools if you ever want to expand beyond static.
  • If you own a business that hires developers, it’s guaranteed that pretty much anyone you hire will be familiar with AWS. It’s industry standard for web development right now.

Netlify

• Built specifically for static sites. This is the easiest solution for static sites of the two
  • Currently has a more generous free plan.
  • Common tools are configured and available to you (forms, auth, etc.)
  • Github Bitbucket and Gitlab integration built in.

They’re both serverless configurations and DO NOT compare to web server hosts.

1 Like

Just to nip this in the bud. For those trying to compare, here’s a table of the actual advantages of both.

Err… you forgot about RAM, or are intentionally avoiding the subject, exactly like Netlify employees do when asked about how much RAM their free and pro plans support.

Not bandwidth, but RAM.

Making a comparison between the two services just to leave out the RAM, which was the point I was making (and by which you subscribed to this forum and started posting in this thread) speaks a lot about Netlify.

I was rooting for people to try their service, subscribe to their free plan, see for themselves.

Now I’m on the fence.

Highly suspicious.

Anyway. People should look for the answers themselves. There’s plenty of information in both websites to make an informed decision.

I for one hope people don’t subscribe blindly into the “all free, all included” hosting provider.

Especially someone who has put a lot of work into learning something like Hugo to build a blog or website.

I know I will never find myself in the situation of having to find a host provider because I ran out of RAM on a static website anymore. There’s also alibaba in China, they have an amazing structure, even larger than Amazon’s AWS which I’m studying right now.

I did mention it:

I’ve said this like 500 times in 500 different ways. Look up how serverless works. The answer to how much RAM is in a hard drive is simply “It doesn’t work like that.” End of story.

This topic was automatically closed after 36 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.