I’m looking for some feedback on the first module I’ve released publicly, which packages Twitter’s pretty awesome (and open-source) Twemoji library of emojis to serve locally instead of making external calls to their CDN for every single icon.
The incompatibility and/or inconsistency between different OSes (and even browsers) when it comes to emojis, especially newer ones, got pretty tiring… so Twemojis are a fantastic way to standardize them for all visitors. It comes with both 72x72 PNG and vector SVG glyphs (which are much better for multiple reasons) as well as a small JS script that hot-swaps them out, so you can use native emojis as usual when writing content/designing templates. (It also means pages will fall back to regular emojis if a visitor has JS disabled.)
I went arguably a little overboard with emojis on my personal website if you’d like to see Twemojis in action:
Would love any and all feedback on what could be improved. I went back and forth debating whether or not to mount everything in
assets/. I settled on
static/twemoji/... but that might have been the wrong call — I see @bep mounts his heroicons module as assets… So if anyone has an opinion on that I’d especially like to hear it.
Hope everyone’s staying safe out there!
edit: just noticed that Discourse itself uses Twemojis across this site as well, if you need another real-world example