Is there a plan for easily creating non-post content (that is "pages" in Wordpress parlance)

The most basic example of a Page almost any blog needs is an “About page.” People might also like to have a blogroll page or a resume or any number of things. You don’t want them to show up as a post, but you probably do want to easily drop them into your header or footer or wherever works.

I’m googling around and searching the forum but all the solutions for this seem incredibly complex and speak to complicated edge cases.

It seems like there should be an easy way to just make a page that shows up ROOTADDRESS.whater/PAGENAME/ and just defaults to using the format for any post, but Hugo doesn’t treat it like a post.

Assuming that you already have content directory in your project root:

hugo new about.md

This will be rendered using a single page template, served at http://foo.com/about.

Yes. Tried that. It shows up as a post, which is weird and undesirable.

But I also didn’t ask “how do you do this.” I have found various convoluted workarounds and I’m sure I will be able to make sense of them once I am up for it. “How to” is not the point.

Again the large point is about UX
This is just kind of table stakes for any CMS. It should really require hacking on the CMS to do it.

I’d be happy to take a look at your setup if you’d care to share your repository.

1 Like

Hey thanks
But no I’ll sort it out.

1 Like

Maybe you’re using a theme that makes use of hard-coded values, instead of mainSections?

Hugo is equipped with some nice features like mainSections and Section Menu for Lazy Bloggers, in order to ease the setup process. The problem is that some people actually don’t implement them on their themes (and it’s not like everyone should, since there are different themes for different uses).

Anyway, good luck.

1 Like