Installing Hugo on OSX 10.6.8

Hi — can anyone suggest to me the easiest way to install Hugo on a Mac which is running OSX 10.6.8?
I’m having a very hard time with TigerBrew (HomeBrew is too new for my operating system).
I’m new at this sort of thing, so it would be easiest for me to follow step-by-step directions.
Thank you, in advance. I’ve spent several hours trying to make this work, but have gotten the feeling, finally, that I’m trying to pound a square peg (a homebrew/tigerbrew install) into a round hole (OSX 10.6). If what I’m trying to do is impossible, is there simply an easier way to install Hugo…?

Try downloading the binary and moving it to a location already on your PATH. See these steps

2 Likes

Thank you for this. It appears to be an elegant, straight-forward method which I should have considered straight away. I got hung up on instruction #2 for a moment, until realizing I needed to install wget before attempting to use the command, but I figured it out and was able to complete your instructions.
However…the final step, “hugo version” (to verify installation?) returned the error “illegal instruction”. I’m guessing this protocol is too modern for me, and my system, at the moment. Is there another way to verify installation?

Hmm. As you said, running hugo version should work, and is used to verify the install.

Did you download the latest version, 0.57.2 ?

You could also try downloading the non-extended version.

1 Like

@Hilbert Just to make sure: What model is your mac and is it actually capable of running 64bit software?

holehan -
I use a Mac Pro “Quad Core” 2.66 (Original).
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-2.66-specs.html
Working around problems like this (consequences of running an old operating system) are my only complaints. I’ve never had a problem with it…

zwbetz -
I was able to download 0.57.2, extract it, and copy it to /usr/local/bin. I returned to the top of the directory stack, but still got the “illegal instruction” error when attempting to verify installation.
I could try the non-extended version (do you know the URL for that?), but I am also wondering whether my path is correct…you see, while attempting to install tigerbrew the other day, I ran “brew doctor”, which advised me to rename my path, so it would supersede the default X-code path. I took the doctor’s advice and typed in the recommended command to do this without completely understanding what it was. Now, I’m wondering whether this change has somehow interfered with the functioning of the “popd” command in your instructions. Do you think this could be the problem?
H.

which -a hugo

will show you all hugo executables in your path. If /usr/local/bin/hugo is the only or top one, you’re good. You’ll find all “official” hugo releases including extended ones at https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/releases.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, zwbetz + holehan — I’ve made some great progress.
I was able to find, download, uncompress, and install the unextended version of Hugo 0.57.2, and have verified its location within the correct path.
However…
I’m still unable to verify installation.
The new error I’m getting at this final stage is:

dyld: Symbol not found: _unlinkat
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/hugo
Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

Thank you both, again, for all your help. It seems that I just need to get past this last hurdle…
H.

It looks as if someone else may previously have encountered this error. (on macOS 10.9.5) They were able to run Hugo version 5.4.0, if that would work for your situation:
https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/hugo-0-54-0-works-fine-but-0-55-x-will-not-run/18774/4

2 Likes

andytough, you are a genius. this was exactly the problem.
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!
!!!