Install on Debian Linux + Blist theme fail, I need some help

OK since the admin locks my first post, so I will have to open a new one.
First of all my apologies for not following the rules, so my guess is this will fix it.
I have enough Linux experiences which should allow me to install this easily.

My goal was to run HUGO website on Debian 11 Cloud with or without NGINX server and preferably running Docker the theme that I choose is blist (which required some Node/NPM setting)

So before the problem arise I made my test install on my mac M1Max by running brew. The installation when a breeze and HUGO + Blist was up and running and I was able to upload the setup to my GitLab.

1. Docker installation: Following docker compose hugo app builder - YouTube guide, I manage to have HUGO up and running, however since the goal was to have blist install I going clueless. I thought cloning the GitLab will allow me to run without a problem, instead of getting unsupported messages. Running HUGO on shell allows me to call all the command however installing blist is just keep saying unsupported no matter what. Try installing node requirements following the guide and keep on finding CSS/PSS errors.

2. On the Debian I have two options (apt install and snaps) so I go with the easiest one in my case apt install hugo. Installation is simple however, making it run using blist themes is a nightmare. I did install NPM + the latest stable node (16 I believe) Ending up with an unsupported message and my hugo server keep on calling back to localhost:1313 even though I set up my baseurl. The CSS error keeps on bugging me. Based on the documentation it will require hugo extensions which only available via snapd

3. Snapd which I hope will be my last resort. Like usual installing it are simple enough and has hugo run without a problem (snap install hugo --channel=extended). HUGO did not run on root for this installation. No problem I can run as a user. Now again installation blist going nowhere. It just keeps showing me error CSS no matter what NPM is being installed.

4. NGINX to call public directory (run command hugo from my mac and upload public directory to my server) did not work either since it keeps on redirecting my website to localhost:1313 Furthermore it says unsupported setup.

So again maybe someone can share some light?

Provide a link to the repo and make sure to include the dockerfile so we can replicate your environment. Then we might be able to help you.

The “hugo server” is only ever used for development. Therefor it defaults to localhost.

The “hugo” command will output your site (html/css/js etc. files) to the “public” directory. This content is then served with whatever web server you like, Nginx will work well for this.

From Requesting Help guidelines (and this is why your previous post was closed).

Let us see your code

Include a link to the source code repository of your project, because we really need the context of seeing your templates and partials to be able to help you. It is trivial to do a quick git clone on your repo, then run hugo server in your project, to help you out. On the other hand, recreating your code from screenshots, or sort of guessing at it, is not.

If you can’t share your repository for whatever reason, consider creating a dummy repo that you can share, which reproduces the problem you’re experiencing.

Hi there, here is my repo. Still basic nothing have been change from the current developer

Your original post was locked because it was incredibly negative loaded, and your new thread’s title isn’t much better. I will edit it, but please try to keep a positive attitude going forward. Remember that this is an open source project where people contribute their free time helping others.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Sorry again for making the negative loaded.

Are you building the docker image on your M1 and then try to run it on debian? In that case you have to build for the correct architecture. See this article to see how: Docker build with Mac M1. Minimal guide to building your image… | by Lois T. | Geek Culture | Medium

Thanks for the info… you might be right… Ever since I run arm this seems to be getting me in most cases.