If and how to upgrade to latest release

Apologies for a very simple question. I am currently using Hugo v0.98.0+extended darwin/arm64 on an M1 Mac Mini running macOS 13 (Ventura). I use it to build/maintain a static website, using the hello-friend theme, and it works a treat. Hugo is now up to v0.107.0. Should I upgrade? If so, how? I installed Hugo with Homebrew. Looking at past posts I suspect that I need to uninstall (brew uninstall hugo) and reinstall (brew install hugo). Is that so?
If I have problems with v0.107.0 can I revert to v0.98.0? Thanks!

Hi, Iā€™m sure others will give you a more exhaustive answer, so just a couple of thoughts:

• If you donā€™t need any new features of Hugo, then IMHO there is no pressing need to upgrade.
  • Before you upgrade, check the release notes and the updates of your theme for any breaking changes/incompatibilities that might affect you.
  • If you upgrade hugo with brew (I believe a brew update; brew upgrade hugo will do the trick), you wonā€™t be able to downgrade with brew (brew supplies only the latest version of hugo, for reasons described in another thread that I canā€™t find now)
  • To test the new hugo version before upgrading the one installed with brew, Iā€™d recommend downloading the relevant tar.gz file for the release from Releases Ā· gohugoio/hugo Ā· GitHub , extracting the hugo binary from it, and then using it to build your project (something like running ~/Downloads/hugo serve from your project directory) and checking the output. That way if you run into issues that you cannot solve, you can keep using the old version.
3 Likes

https://discourse.gohugo.io/t/how-to-downgrade-hugo-to-a-previous-version/40388/5

Thanks very much for just the sort of advice that I am seeking. Iā€™m very happy to accept your ā€˜humble opinionā€™; the old adage ā€œif it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€ seems to be particularly appropriate. Nevertheless, your additional comments on how to test a later version before committing to it could prove to be very helpful. Thanks again.