Hugo server not launching on 1313

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, i’ve just started using Hugo;

$ hugo env
Hugo Static Site Generator v0.54.0/extended windows/amd64 BuildDate: unknown
GOOS="windows"
GOARCH="amd64"
GOVERSION="go1.11.5"

If i create the “example.com” site, it works. However, i added in a theme and now it won’t activate the local server;

$ hugo -v server
INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 No translation bundle found for default language "en"
INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 Translation func for language en not found, use default.
INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 i18n not initialized; if you need string translations, check that you have a bundle in /i18n that matches the site language or the default language.
INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 Using config file:
Building sites … INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 syncing static files to V:\hugh\hugo\sites\panunion.uk\
INFO 2019/02/11 15:39:35 found taxonomies: map[string]string{"category":"categories", "tag":"tags"}

| EN
+------------------+----+
  Pages            | 11
  Paginator pages  |  0
  Non-page files   |  0
  Static files     | 78
  Processed images |  0
  Aliases          |  0
  Sitemaps         |  1
  Cleaned          |  0

Total in 1516 ms
Watching for changes in V:\hugh\hugo\sites\panunion.uk\{content,data,layouts,static,themes}

But there is no server listening on 1313. However, if i do this; hugo server -v --watch=false

It does create the server, but obviously it doesn’t monitor files for changes.

Any ideas. I’m hoping it’s real simple.

thanks, Bob.

Show us the full output of the hugo server -v command. At the end it will show you what port the server is using.

If you have some other process using port 1313, then Hugo will auto-select a different port.

That is the full output! It doesn’t get further than the “watching” statement.

What theme did you add?

this is what i did;

cd v:\hugh\hugo\sites
hugo new site foobar.com

cd foobar.com\themes
git clone https://github.com/themefisher/meghna-hugo

copy data from
V:\hugh\hugo\sites\foobar.com\themes\meghna-hugo\exampleSite
over foobar.com

cd foobar.com
hugo -v  server

I just tested this locally with the meghna hugo theme, using the steps you listed, and it works fine.

So there is something you’re doing on your end.

I’ll try the exact thing again from scratch. Is there any other things hugo relies on in the PATH for example. Is it just hugo.exe?

The fact that you’re able to run hugo commands (hugo env, hugo server) tells me that hugo is on your PATH and is being picked up. So there’s something else going on.

I just tried everything again from a fresh directory. I get the same problem. Hugo is “stuck” on the Watching line and doesnt continue.

For Info, here is watch=false

$ hugo -v server --watch=false
INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 No translation bundle found for default language "en"
INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 Translation func for language en not found, use default.
INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 i18n not initialized; if you need string translations, check that you have a bundle in /i18n that matches the site language or the default language.
INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 Using config file:
Building sites … INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 syncing static files to V:\hugh\hugo2\foobar.com\
INFO 2019/02/11 16:19:38 found taxonomies: map[string]string{"tag":"tags", "category":"categories"}

| EN
+------------------+----+
  Pages            | 11
  Paginator pages  |  0
  Non-page files   |  0
  Static files     | 78
  Processed images |  0
  Aliases          |  0
  Sitemaps         |  1
  Cleaned          |  0

Total in 1383 ms
Environment: "development"
Serving pages from memory
Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender
Web Server is available at http://localhost:1313/ (bind address 127.0.0.1)
Press Ctrl+C to stop

ahah!!

It’s when it’s running over a network drive.

If i copy foobar.com locally, it works. For example to the C:\ drive.

Thanks for the help. Looks like i need to develop on the local drive first. One to watch though!