Hugo serve quickrebuild page mode?

Is there existing (or upcoming) functionality around facilitating localdev expedience?
thinking specifically about contexts where one is editing a single page of a moderately large blog, or manypage site…

something like

Hugo, please retain the list of the last files saved that triggered a rebuild…
if (some/all of) those same files trigger the next rebuild, then chances are VERY GOOD that you don’t need to rebuild EVERYTHING

IE

While in serve mode:
if the last render completed < N (unit-of-time-here) ago
and if the asset(s?) that changed dont require rebuilding of other things too
(ie a js lib that’s included, or a snippit/template, or some other proto-construct/resource)

then ONLY re-render that page/asset.
The idea in my mind is SIMILAR to keeping a tcp session active for a few to see if any straggling data comes across the line before flushing context…

sort-of a post build … soft-finish threshold…
once the timer runs out, hugo would act like it normally does now on site-build-completion.

I see (at least) a few ways to facilitate a bypass mechanism, for cases where you want to trigger a full rebuild anyways

• disable the feature
  • set the settle timer to 0, or 1s.
  • wait until the configured ‘settle timer’ runs out
  • save a file not in the ‘soft-rebuildable’ filetypes list
  • remove a ‘waitfile’
  • just restart hugo serve…

Does this already exist? If not, is this an idea that has merit? or am I missing something obvious?

It’s called fast render mode, implemented five years ago, and is enabled by default.

https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/pull/3959

When you run hugo server this appears in the terminal

Running in Fast Render Mode. For full rebuilds on change: hugo server --disableFastRender

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.