How to test 404.html on local server?

I put the layout file in “theme/layouts/404.html” and it is created and i can reach it manually (localhost:1313/404.html - but when a 404 error occurs, it won’t open up my newly created 404 page - but instead the default page with only the “404 page not found” string.

Is threre a setting in the config file i could set or something?

Besides this, i want to use the “slash at the end” syntax all over my pages because many search engines prefer that.
so i created a 404.md file in

/content/404.md

is it possible to set the generated

/404/index.html

as the 404 page?

one more question:
Is it possible to catch 50* Errors with hugo? Or would i just have to create a page and set it manuall in my server specific settings?

thank you guys :slight_smile:

1. The Hugo built-in server doesn’t seem to support this. It should, I’ll create an issue.
  2. As to /404/index.html - this is how it is generated by default if you haven’t set uglyurls=true in the config (or, it’s created twice - once on root and secondly under /404/index.html).
  3. As to 50* errors, see 1) Hugo server has no specific error handling. The internal 404.html template was added because it’s the default error page in GitHub pages - and it’s “the only” HTTP error you shold get from your static site.

Issue:

But if you’re not using the built in server in production, just pointing the browser directly at the page should be “as good a test”.

1 Like